Peter Record

Default Rev Samuel Robert Record

He was my great uncle and was a minister in Bibury, Gloucestershire. His address was 'The Manse', Bibury according to British Telephone Directory 1953. I cannot find which type of church he served in and look for any more information.

Peter Record

LittleSpark

Have you seen this?
    There's a photo of The Old Manse (previously known as The Manse), Bibury shown on:
    www.
    imagesofengland.org.uk - just type in The Manse, Bibury and it's on page 3, numer 26.

Sheila
    Last edited by Mutley; 01-10-2011 at 5:20 PM. Reason: Edited link - they sell prints

Famous for offering help & advice

Both the Old Manse a(formerly the Manse) and the Baptist Church are listed buildings and may be found on the British listed buildings website
    www.
    britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/england/gloucestershire/bibury (though of course they may not be connected to each other) But they are on the same road in the same part of town so it is a possibility.

The church is still open but currently without a minister and in care of the Southern Counties Baptist association according to this village newsletter https://www.biburyvillage.co.uk/docum...illagelife.pdf (hope it is ok to post this link. The newsletter also mentions a Bibury local history group which could be helpful.

And here is a link to the Baptist Historical Society
    www.
    baptisthistory.org.uk/basicpage.php?contents=familyHistory&page_title=Fa mily%20History

Again hope it is in order to post this link!
    Last edited by Mutley; 01-10-2011 at 5:25 PM. Reason: Edited Links - one wants donations, one sells books

Coromandel

A later sighting of him suggests he was a Baptist minister.

There's a catalogue entry on the Access to Archives (A2A) website relating to records of the Thurleigh Baptist Chapel, Bedfordshire. An untitled file, ref. X 349/3, includes among other items these entries:

'The Reverend S.R.Record of Bibury, Glous accepted. 30 November & 27 December 1953'
    'Newspaper cutting re induction (11 May 1954)'

(further down the page)
    'Death of Mrs Record mentioned: 7 September 1955'

(two lines below that)
    ''The Reverend Record resig[n]ing pastorate in July. 3 July 1957.'

Brick wall demolition expert!

Was he also in Oxfordshire at some point? There is an entry in the Surman Index for an S. R. RECORD. It doesn't say much, just ...

Lay pastor at Wheatley in of Oxfordshire. 1945-47

https://
    surman.english.qmul.ac.uk/

There is also a brief mention of an S. R. Record with respect to a marriage in 1936 at Headington Baptist Chapel, Oxfordshire.

www.
    headington.org.uk/history/reminiscences/hansford.htm

Peter Record

Thank you olliecat,

I had earlier followed the link to the Surman index. They replied that if his title was 'Rev' he was not a lay pastor but an ordained minister. I concluded that either he qualified later as a minister but not in the congregational church, or this was a reference to someone else.

Peter Record

My sincere thanks to LittleSpark, grisel and Coromandel. That was a very useful collection of references to cleaarly the right man. Stuff I can record in Family Tree Maker.

Peter Record

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Record View Post
    I had earlier followed the link to the Surman index. They replied that if his title was 'Rev' he was not a lay pastor but an ordained minister. I concluded that either he qualified later as a minister but not in the congregational church, or this was a reference to someone else.
    I really don't know if this is your Samuel either. Whom did he marry?

I spotted a marriage between Florence ELLS and Samuel R. RECORD in Oxford in 1934 and there is death for a Florence RECORD in Bedford in 1955 (which fits with the death in 1955 in post #4.) So if this is your Samuel, he appears to have been in Oxfordshire at least once.

You could try contacting the Baptist Church in Headington to see if they have any record of him.

Peter Record

Thank you olliecat

I have that refeence from the Free BMD and the dates tie up. I believe he may also have married in 1918 - a Fanny Manning. This is in the Free BMD and is in agreement with family memories.

In 2 days I am amazed how much has turned up through B-G.com. Thanks to all.