LindaNS

Default John Reid in Kilwinning, Ayrshire

I don't know if this "search" belongs here or in "brick walls". I am looking for the siblings, parents, grandparents, etc of my ggg-grandfather, John Reid. I don't know his birth year, but Dec 4, 1772, he married Jean Kerr (1753-ca1822) dau of Robert Kerr and Margaret Ramsay of Ardrossan. (I can go back three generations for the Kerrs.)The Kilwinning marriage banns says John is "of this parish". Jean is in the 1819 Census of Stevenston, and is living with their youngest son James. Eventually, they moved to Paisley where James became a School Master at the Paisley Grammar School. I found a book about the School on line, and in it there is a section on James, and it says his father died shortly after his birth ....which was 1794. Because of the Scottish naming tradition, I will list the children of John and Jean in birth order (all were born in Kilwinning): Robert 1773-1846, Thomas 1776-ca1790, Margaret 1777-1857, Elizabeth 1779-??, Jean 1781-1865; John 1765-ca1873, William 1788-1854, Thomas 1791-1852 (my gg-grandfatehr), James 1794-1873. NOTE: The second son was named Thomas, and after he died, the next son was named Thomas, so that was an important name. Any suggestions as to where I would look next to find John's parents??
    LindaNS

LittleSpark

Hi LindaNS

Family Search (new site) has the following:
    John Reid born 24th July 1748 and baptized 25th July 1748 - Kilwinning, Ayr.
    Father: Robert Reid
    Mother: Janet Hart
    Batch No. C11599-4

Could this be him?

Sheila

LindaNS

Hi, Sheila:
    Thanks for your suggestion. Your find could be my John's parents, but that would not match the Scottish naming pattern ... which is just a tradition and not a rule, and was not necessarily followed ... but what I have seen in my Scottish family indicates that it often was followed. John and Jean's first son was named Robert ... Jean's father's name. And it could be that John's father was also Robert, and so their first son could have the name of both grandfathers. John and Jean's first daughter was Margaret ... named for Jean's mother. If that were the case, then the second daughter would be named for John's mother. Their second KNOWN daughter is Elizabeth. There is never a known daughter named Janet. IF John and Jean's first son is named for Jean's father only, THEN the second son would be named for John's father. Their second son is Thomas. And after this Thomas dies, there is a replacement Thomas, indicating the name is important. All this indicates John's parents may be Thomas and Elizabeth. But there are a lot of "ifs" in this ... that apply only "if" the naming tradition was followed. (Both of Jean's grandfathers were William, which fits in the naming order of Jean and John's children.) It's not much to go on, but in the absence of conclusive evidence, it is all I have ... for now.
    Thanks again for your reply.
    Linda