Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    David R McKay

Thank you, I got into the maps. I have been looking for Barrett Street for years: too many for me to remember. My great grandfather went to Manchester from Scotland in 1836. He was a stone mason, and he married my great grandmother around 1845 and my grandfather was born at 32 Barrett Street. I have the census listing of all the folks who lived on Barrett St from 1841 to 1881. Number 32 appeared only on the 1882 census. I found the most interesting part when I investigated the Google map and took a trip around the neighborhood on Butler Street from Oldham Road. I really appreciate your help. Old Ancoats is certainly not an area I would have wanted to bring up a young child. The family stayed there until 1849 when they immigrated to the US. Robert was stone mason.

Thanks again

Dave

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by David R McKay View Post
    I have the census listing of all the folks who lived on Barrett St from 1841 to 1881. Number 32 appeared only on the 1882 census.
    I thought I saw number #32 yesterday when I was looking through the 1851 census. I could go back and look again to see if I’m imagining things. Of course your great grandfather won’t be on it if he left the country in 1849.

Thank you, I got into the maps. I have been looking for Barrett Street for years: too many for me to remember. My great grandfather went to Manchester from Scotland in 1836.
    I'm glad you are sorted with the street. The area has certainly changed a lot.

David R McKay

Thanks to both for the help. Is it Barrett or Barratt? The census say Barrett while the maps say Barratt. I went back and looked at the Birth registration. It looks as though it was spelled Barratt.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dave

RonOne

Is it Barrett or Barratt? The census say Barrett while the maps say Barratt.
    I tried to find a photo of Barrett/Barratt Street, hopefully with a view of a street name sign to clarify the name.
    There only one photo on the "Manchester Local Image Collection" taken circa 1930 but no visible street name sign.

Go to:

https://
    images.manchester.gov.uk/

Enter: Barratt (in the find box)

Barratt Street is close to the border of Ancoats and Miles Platting. On the image it's listed as Miles Platting but it's definitely the same Barratt Street.

RonOne

Edward Street (on the 1840/50s maps) was later renamed Gunson Street

RonOne

If it helps at all, Barratt Street appears as follows in the Street directory section of Slater's Directory of Manchester and Salford:

1841: Barratt st, 20 Lloyd st, Oldham road
    1850: Barratt st, 30 Lloyd st, Oldham road
    1863: Barratt st, Lloyd st, Oldham road

The spelling remains consistant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12