Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    David R McKay

Default Finding Barrett St.

I have had difficulty finding a category to post my message. May be I can get some help from someone.

David McKay

Hello all, I am looking for some information and help. Does anyone have an 1841 or before street map of Ancoats, subdivision of Manchester? I have been searching for 32 Barrett Street. I find Barrett St., but no number 32 on the 1841 census. According to the birth certificate of my grandfather the family lived at number 32 Barrett in 1845. In 1841 Ancoats was in District 30. I sent for the Old Ordnance Survey Maps dated 1849, but I cannot find the street. I have seen information that the street was at Oldham Road and Greater Ancoats Street. The Barrett street does not exist today, but it was still there in 1881. Does anyone have any idea where I could get an 1841 or ealier street map? I would be most appreciative for any information.

David R McKay
    Last edited by David R McKay; 25-09-2011 at 1:36 AM. Reason: Spellig Error

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi David. I have moved your post to the Lancashire sub forum. Hopefully members familiar with the Manchester area will be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by David R McKay View Post
    I have been searching for 32 Barrett Street. I find Barrett St., but no number 32 on the 1841 census.
    House numbers were not included in the listing for Barrett Street in 1841; granted there appear to be only 29 households in total, although the number of houses has increased to about 69 in 1851.

I had a quick look at the description of the 1841 enumeration district for Barrett Street (district 10) (sub district Ancoats) and in case this helps, other nearby streets include ...

Edward Street
    Lloyd Street
    Ravald Street
    Wight Street
    Isles Street
    Murray Street
    Porters Place
    Barrett Street

I can see a Murray Street on modern maps but none of the others.

David R McKay

Thank you for moving my post to a more appropriate cotegory. I have not quite figured out yet how to post to the proper place. I have several questions about that area of Manchester that I will address later.

Dave

Looking on old-maps.co.uk I have managed to locate Barrett Street for you. It's between Edward Street and Ravald Street.

It's on this map - 1850-1851 Town Plans - Manchester (Inc Salford), LANCASHIRE AND FURNESS 1:1,056

I'll post directions to finding it on the map in a moment.

Go to www.
    old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

In the search box type in Butler Street Manchester. When the results appear click on any house number and this will take you to a modern day map. Zoom in until you can see Butler street and the area called Miles Platting above (don't zoom in to far though.) In the list of Available maps on the top right side, click the Enlarge Map button for the one titled "1850-1851 Town Plans - Manchester (Inc Salford)". Once this has loaded, click the Enhanced Zoom button and make sure you can see Butler Street again. Above this street and running parallel is Murray Street. Both Edward Street and Ravald Street run down into Murray Street. Barrett Street is a smaller street and is smack in between Edward Street and Ravald Street.

David R McKay

Thank you for all you help. I wish I could say I was successful, however I cannot get it to work. It keeps telling me no selections available. Also I was wondering if you meant Barrett St. in the directions instead of Butler. Unfortunately Barrett St. does not work either. I have tried typing in search Miles Platting and 1850-1851 Town Plans. In the Gazzeeter I can locate Ancoats but that is also a O. Nothing seems to do the trick.

Sorry to be such a bother.

Dave

Hi Dave

Butler Street is a road near to Barrett Street that still exists today. On a modern map, Barrett Street was once located roughly here.

On the old-maps site, enter the following coordinates and then then follow the same instructions I posted earlier.

RonOne

Quote Originally Posted by David R McKay View Post
    I sent for the Old Ordnance Survey Maps dated 1849, but I cannot find the street.
    See: Sheet 25 (the very top left-hand corner of which you should see Juno Street and Apollo Street)
    Moving to the right you should be able to see Edward Street and Ravald Street. Barratt Street is inbetween these.

Note: It's spelt Barratt on every map I have for this area.

Quote Originally Posted by RonOne View Post
    Note: It's spelt Barratt on every map I have for this area.
    You are right Ron. Looking at the map again, it is spelt Barratt Street.

Dave, if you have any more problems finding the street do let us know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast