Annchinsang

Default Tracing WW1 widow

This is a long shot, my Great Uncle Herbert emigrated to Halifax Nova Scotia somewhere around 1913/14. At the start of WW1 he joined the Royal Canadian Regiment. I've found out what happened to him and his death, where he's buried etc, however he married while in Canada to an English girl, Mabel Alice Wilkinson nee James.

They had a son who was premeture and died at 6 hrs old, Herbert Died shortly after the end of WW1 due to injuries. I'm trying to trace Mabel though. I can find nothing on her in Canada, she may well have remarried but I cant find any record on that, or as she would have been alone in Nova Scotia perhaps she returned to England. I've cut and pasted what I know about her below, any ideas on any ways I can trace her would be appreicated. I dont think there were any more children, although my Dad is adament that there was.

Mabel Alice Wilkinson Nee James.(Herberts wife) DOB 1895 was English although they were married in Canada, maiden name James Parents names George and Elizabeth. Married 30th April 1914 in Halifax Nova Scotia she was 18 at the time. Town on the document for marriage says Turckenham England, there is no such place, is it Twickenham miss spelt?? Now looking at the entry I think it is Twickenham.

I'm also looking for a Harold/Harry Wilkinson from Kendal and any of his relatives. This is all my Grandmothers family, I have found records for her, her Brother Herbert, Calvert who also died during WW1 and mention of her father, but again I've been lead to believe there were other family members but I've got no names, and other that she had a couple of other sisters.
    Thanks

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Annchinsang View Post
    Mabel Alice Wilkinson Nee James.(Herberts wife) DOB 1895 was English although they were married in Canada, maiden name James Parents names George and Elizabeth. Married 30th April 1914 in Halifax Nova Scotia she was 18 at the time. Town on the document for marriage says Turckenham England, there is no such place, is it Twickenham miss spelt?? Now looking at the entry I think it is Twickenham.
    There is a birth registration in the second quarter of 1895 for a Mabel Alice James in the Brentford district, which included Twickenham. There's also this 1901 census:

54 Mereway (Rd?), Twickenham
    George James, head, m, 31, Lan(ce?) Sergt. [squiggle here I can't decipher] Welsh Fusiliers
    Elizabeth do, wife, m, 29
    Lily do, daur, s, 7, scholar
    Mabel do, daur, s, 6, scholar
    all born 'Middx Twickenham'
    (RG 13/1188, f.133, p.57; census returns held by TNA, Crown copyright)

Annchinsang

This does look promising, perhaps if I can trace the rest of her family, I might be able to find out if she came back to Enland after Herberts death.
    Many thanks for this.
    Ann

Coromandel

Presumably this is the marriage entry you've seen, from 'Canada Marriages, 1661-1949' on FamilySearch:

Herbert Wilkinson, 23, born Halifax, Yorkshire (parents Henry & Mary)
    and
    Mabel A. James, 19, b. 'Turckenham, England' (parents George & Elizabeth)

married 30 April 1914, Halifax, Nova Scotia

. . . so we have to get Mabel from Twickenham to Nova Scotia between 1901 and 1919. So far I haven't found her on outgoing or incoming passenger lists, but will keep looking . . .

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    so we have to get Mabel from Twickenham to Nova Scotia between 1901 and 1919. So far I haven't found her on outgoing or incoming passenger lists, but will keep looking . . .
    Sorry, I meant to say 1914

Coromandel

The 'Canada marriages' database on FamilySearch also has this:

Lily Maud Florence James (20, b. Twickenham, England, dau. of George & Elizabeth)
    married
    James Havelock Tingman (21, b. Toronto, son of John & Elizabeth)
    at Halifax, Nova Scotia, 17 Dec 1913

Lily's age and birthplace would fit with her being the Lily who is on the 1901 census in Twickenham. So at least one other member of the James family was also in Nova Scotia, which perhaps would have made it less likely that Mabel would return to the UK after being widowed.

Coromandel

From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database, I see that Mabel was of Alta Vista, BC when her husband died in 1920.

This led me to check the British Columbia death index on FamilySearch. It includes this entry:

death date: 03 Jun 1971
    death place: Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
    name: Mabel Wilkinson
    birth date: 25 Apr 1895
    birthplace: Twickenham, England
    marital status: widowed
    spouse: Herbert Henry Wilkinson
    father: George James

(film number: 2034262)

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Annchinsang View Post
    I'm also looking for a Harold/Harry Wilkinson from Kendal and any of his relatives. This is all my Grandmothers family, I have found records for her, her Brother Herbert, Calvert who also died during WW1 and mention of her father, but again I've been lead to believe there were other family members but I've got no names, and other that she had a couple of other sisters.
    Census returns should fill in more about the family. I don't have subscriptions to Ancestry or Findmypast but can see from the free indexes online that there's an 11 year old Herbert H. Wilkinson (born Halifax) in Kendal in 1901. There are other Wilkinsons in Kendal too, including a 2 year old Harry (is this the one you're asking about?) and a 4 year old James C. Wilkinson: the 1911 census gives his middle name as Calvert, so perhaps he is your grandmother's brother?

Annchinsang

This is great thank you so much! I'd found a census with both my Great Grandparents, Gran and my Great Uncle Herbert but did see one with a 2yr old Harry and James C Wilkinson.

This has given me masses to work on, I think my fault is I'm trying to do to many of the family members in one go, and I may have missed things, lesson learnt there.
    Again thank you, its so very much appreciated.