Dorset Girl

Default Robert LEAT (Nullius Fillius) was never born?

Or he was born with a different name - but how do we find out what it was?
    His marriage certificate to Martha KENT on 8 May 1845 in Ringwood, Hampshire, UK it shows his father as Nullius Fillius. The census entries constantly state he was b abt 1806 in Ringwood, Hampshire, and appears to have died abt 1875 in Ringwood.

There are two witnesses to the wedding - a John WARD and a Charles EARLY. In the 1861 Census there is an Ann WARD staying with them marked as an Aunt so have followed the WARD family in Ringwood in case they are related to Robert LEAT but to no avail.

So far have checked FMP, Ancestry, British Origins, LDS, Family Search plus Mocavo including Roots Web with no results. Have checked Hampshire plus Ringwood to see if there are any Robert's in the 1841 census who might fit the bill who were born around 1806 but still no luck.

Having spent quite some time on this fortress I am beginning to think there is no way out - I cannot prove that Robert - or whoever he may have been born as, existed in the 1841 census or where or who he was born too.

If anyone has any bright suggestions I would be eternally grateful!!!!

Marion

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    In the 1851 census there is an Ann Ward b.1791 living at Moor town, Ringwood with her cordwainer husband Thomas b.1770 Ringwood.
    Moortown is an area of Ringwood on its southern outskirts.

Dorset Girl

Hi Graham,

Thank you for that - I had come across Ann married to Thomas and thought that Thomas and John could have been brothers and assumed the relationship would have been from their side. I had not looked at Ann's maiden name - but I also have a note that one of Martha's sisters was christened an Elizabeth Brown KENT in 1814 in Witchampton, Dorset.

The notes on the LEAT tribe are fairly extensive so I shall go into them tomorrow (bed time here!) and see if there is marriage between the two. I did look to see if there was a Robert WARD around but nothing there
    The BROWN connection is one to work on - I will have a dig tomorrow again.

Thank you for the post and the help - it's good when fresh eyes look at an old problem - I think at times you get so involved that it is difficult to see a new path!

Marion
    Last edited by Dorset Girl; 11-09-2011 at 2:08 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have a look at this (very old) thread on another forum, if you haven't already seen it ...

http:
    boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.leat/3/mb.ashx

Then you might want to try contacting this BG forum member by private message or email.

Dorset Girl

Thanks Kerrywood - that's my "partner in crime" on this one - one of her LEAT's married one of my HARDY'S so we have been sorting through her side now - but Robert is definitely a cactus! Thanks for looking though!
    Marion.

Dorset Girl

Have hunted everywhere I can think of and cannot find a marriage of a LEAT to a BROWN! It was a good idea - I shall put it in the too hard basket along with the rest of them I think!
    Marion

darleat

Default Robert Leat Mystery

Hi Marion - me too - looking endlessly - He's my GG Grandfather.
    You've probably tread all the same paths.
    I was following through all the census discussions - this is the pertinent part of what I kept in my records:

1841 Census

p2- Edward LEAT 60 b 1781 Yeoman Moortown, Ringwood
    Jane Leat 15 b1826 F L (?)
    Robert Witt 30 b1811 Ag Lab
    Wm Cull 25 b1816 Ag Lab
    Ann Whiffen 60 b 1781 Ind (Edward’s sister - 1851C)

p3- next HH Thos Ward 70 b1771, shoemaker Moortown, Ringwood
    Ann Ward 45 b1796 (see Robert Leat 1861C)
    Elizabeth Ward 70 b1771
    Wm White 50 b1791 Tailor (Ann’s brother?see 1851C)

1851 Census

HH43- William LEAT 35 b1816 W head Fish monger Moortown, Ringwood
    Jane Leat 29 b1822 W cousin House Servant
    John Leat 9 b1842 son
    Mary Ann Leat 7 b1844 daughter
    Harriett Leat 5mths. b1850 daughter
    John Leat 21 b1830 W brother Ag Lab (Check age 21 or 27)

HH44- Edward LEAT 69 b1782 W head Dairyman Moortown, Ringwood (son of Edward)
    Ann Wiffen 67 b1784 W sister Cauzier? (Check occupation)(m Joseph Whiffen 1816)

HH45- Thomas Ward 61 b1790 head Cordwainer? Moortown, Ringwood (check age, occupation)
    Ann Ward 60 b1791 wife
    William White 68 b1783 brother-in-law Tailor (Ann’s brother? Or Thomas' sister's husband? Or Ann's sister's husband?)

So there's at least a possibility rthat she was Ann White - just to add more fat to the fire

Cheers, Dar

dawnkaren

(Nullius Fillius

(context, Latinate) A child of unknown parentage; an orphan.
    : The son of no one; a bastard. A bastard is considered nullius filius as far as regards his right inherit. But the rule of nullius filius does not apply in other respects. - Bouvier Law Dictionary 6th edition, 1856.
    Etymology: Latin; 'nullius filius' literally "nobody's son".

darleat

Default Robert Leat Researchers

Quote Originally Posted by Dorset Girl View Post
    Thanks Kerrywood - that's my "partner in crime" on this one - one of her LEAT's married one of my HARDY'S so we have been sorting through her side now - but Robert is definitely a cactus! Thanks for looking though!
    Marion.
    Hi Marion - are you still in touch with "gypsy" - her email addy has changed - if you are, please forward to her and say I ask for reply please - same as her last addy for me
    Darlene Leat

Dorset Girl

Quote Originally Posted by darleat View Post
    Hi Marion - are you still in touch with "gypsy" - her email addy has changed - if you are, please forward to her and say I ask for reply please - same as her last addy for me
    Darlene Leat
    Hi Darlene,
    I have been away from the "digging tree" for quite some time now so have not been in touch with Gypsy for a while - I will try and find the latest email addresses I had for her tonight and send her a note to tell her to get back in touch.
    Regards, Marion