Thread: Nullius Fillius

Dorset Girl

Default Nullius Fillius

On a Marriage Certificate I have been sent the Father of the Groom is shown as Nullius Fillius. I have checked on the meaning of this - but can anyone tell me why the term would be applied on a Marriage Certificate? Was there a legal requirement, or in what circumstances would it have been shown or used.
    Marion

Jan1954

As you know, Filius Nullius is Latin for A son of nobody; in other words, an illigitimate child.

I am not aware of any legal requirement for fully completing the boxes of a marriage certificate; in fact, I have a couple where the father's name box has a line through it - as well as a couple with completely ficticious names!

If you have not done so already, Barbara Dixon has an excellent website that provides further information on that which should be recorded on certificates and it may be found at home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm - put https:// in front.

You could also find the SOG publication My Ancestor was a Bastard to be of help

Famous for offering help & advice

Filius Nullius or Nullius Fillius certainly sounds much nicer than "bastard", don't you think?
    Again, thanks to BG, I have learnt something new.

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

or Biggus Dickus

Dorset Girl

Thanks Jan - there is nothing on the Barbara Dixon site - I shall have to see if I can get a copy of My Ancestor is a Bastard - it has been on my list for a while. This was in 1845 in a fairly small Parish Church and to me it seemed strange that this particular phrase was used. My thought was perhaps the father was a person of some means and wished to ensure that his illegitimate child had no claim on his estate. Any thoughts on that?
    Marion

Jan1954

Or, it may be that the Minister (or Parish Clerk) wanted to ensure that every box was completed, rather than leave blank or score a line through it. Remember, he would only have had the word of the Groom to go by - no evidence was required.

It might be worth a look at other marriage entries that this chap entered in the Parish Register. See if you can find the marriage on the Family Search website and perhaps order up the film from your local Family History Centre to view.

Dorset Girl

Jan,
    The only entry in Family Search was a submitted entry! There seems to be no record of his actual birth under the name on the marriage certificate so it's all very strange and mysterious! Thanks for your thoughts and help though.
    Marion