Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    corpios

To all the people who have helped me many thanks im going to ask a big big favor now ....... i have up untill 6weeks ago thought that i came from a long line of Eldridges then i was informed that in fact it was Tucks and i started to try and work out what i had been told if i tell you some info on my history could you unravel it for me .My grandad was Albert Alfred ELDRIDGE 1909 guilford his father Alfred....... BUT here is the STRANGE thing i know he wed twice once to Maria Cripps who passed away she was my grt gran and then he married Hannah Huges in 1915 calling himself ELDRIDGE all this is fact then im told he was born alfredTUCK and that he was already married when he wed Maria this wife being another Hannah but surname Wilkins she died in1937 and means he was a bigamist who changed his name i think he had in the region of 19 children would someone take on the masssive task of confirming this for me as im stuck i will be honest i cant afford to buy numerous birth death and wed certs and i have been trying to piece bits and bobs together i dont find it straight forward it keeps springing up things many thanks louise

Mutley

I have a feeling that.....
    Jabez and Mary in the census are the same couple that married in 1866.
    Mary is listed at the baptism of their first daughter, Sophia Felicia on the 16 May 1847 as Mary Anne.
    They lived in Clapham and Jabez was a Stationer.

I think they just decided to tie the knot later than expected.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have a look at the site https://www. london-gazette.co.uk. There are numerous entry's for Jabez TUCK 1815 -1884 over the years.

You may notice that his will was proved soon after he died where it is suggest he left in excess of £7800, there is a notice posted in the paper in respect of this, a later will posting suggests he left £700, he MUST have had a lot of debts!

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by corpios View Post
    To all the people who have helped me many thanks im going to ask a big big favor now ....... My grandad was Albert Alfred ELDRIDGE 1909 guilford his father Alfred....... many thanks louise
    Welcome to the forum Louise. Maybe we should all start at the beginning with Albert...

Albert Eldridge born 1909 in Guildford, Surrey.
    Parents Alfred Albert born 1858 in the City of London and Maria born 1869 in Berkshire.
    Now to find their marriage.......

corpios

SORRY!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Do you have any certificates Louisa, such as your grandad Albert's marriage certificate or his birth certificate?

There is an Albert Eldridge born 1909 in Guildford in the 1911 census. I think he may be the correct Albert, but do you have access to the 1911 census since we can't post the details due to copyright. The census ref is ...

1911: RG14/3107 SN337

And a possible marriage for Albert's father ...

Marriages Mar 1896 Farnham 2a 160
    Cripps Marie
    Eldridge Alfred Albert
    Findlay John Saunders W
    Montgomery Jane Wallace

If Alfred changed his name from Tuck to Eldgridge, then it may get trickier.

Are you keeping this in the same thread Mutley?

The Alfred Albert Eldridge in the 1911 census is in the 1901 census in Wiltshire.

1901: RG13 Piece: 1952 Folio: 90 Page: 26 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    9 York Road, Fisherton Anger Within, Salisbury
    ELDRIDGE, Alfred A, head, 4,3 Military Photographer, Allhallows E C London
    ELDRIDGE, Maria, wife, 32, Leverton Berkshire
    ELDRIDGE, Laura, dau, 13 [3?], No Occ, Ifracombe Devonshire
    ELDRIDGE, Ivy E, dua, 4, Farnborough Hampshire
    ELDRIDGE, Edward C, son, 2, Farnborough Hampshire

corpios

Yes i do have 1 with him on i have my grandad alberts birth cert alfred is listed as father of 2 connaught rd woking and i know this is correct as it belongs to my mum she has had it for many years and sorry no access i found things tricky aswell you can give up if you want i know im asking alot best wishes louise

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I know I appear to have leap frogged, but I notice there is a child b 1903 John Jabez ELDRIDGE,

1861 census for Jabez TUCK has a child Alfred Albert TUCK aged 3 b All Hallows, coincidence?

Just need to bridge 1861 - 1901 for this guy now!

Quote Originally Posted by corpios View Post
    you can give up if you want i know im asking alot best wishes louise
    Why would we want to give up, (not yet anyway)? Don't worry about asking - people on this forum like trying to trace and figure out those tricky ancestors.
    Looks like genius has found a good lead to follow.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast