elbe

Default Irish Presbyterian ministers - Maxwell (name)

I'm looking for three Scottish-born Maxwell brothers, who apparently all ministered in 'Ulster'. [Note: Presbyterian not Church of Ireland clergy.] I know nothing of two of them.
    There is quite a footprint for Rev. James Maxwell from various old books on-line. James ministered at Omagh for about 60 years, and died there in 1750, 'in his 89th year', (which I take to mean he was 88!) giving a birth year year of 1662. Some sources say he was the son of a [titled] John Maxwell, whose lands were forfeited. Anyway looking at OPR on Scotland's People, there were 2x James Maxwell with father=John, and mother either Agnes Liddell or Issobell Baxster, both bap. Glasgow parish (however there were 5 others with father not John in 1661-62). James had children including Rev. John, and Jane, both of whom married into churchy families.
    Does anyone know the names of the other two brothers please?
    elbe

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Presbyterian ministers in Ulster 1700s.

Googling the above bought up many websites, two of which were Familysearch & Wikipedia. Also PRONI
    Lot's of info ou there but means scrolling aboutabit.

I had to leave it, too much interesting info.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Presbyterian Historical Society in Belfast keeps records of all the Ministers for the Presbyterian Church in Ireland and may be able to help you. Typically the records will list where and when the Minister served, and often details of any wife and children. (The first Presbyterian Ministers in Ireland nearly all came from Scotland, to Minister to Scots who had settled in Ireland from 1610 onwards as a part of the Plantation of Ulster. The earliest Ministers appear to have arrived in the mid to late 1600s.)

www.
    presbyterianhistoryireland.com

Be aware that, as in Scotland, the Presbyterian Church in Ireland has had various schisms and so if there is no record of your ancestors at the Pres Hist Society, you should try the Reformed Presbyterian Church (sometimes known as Covenanters) and the Non Subscribing Presbyterian church.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 03-09-2011 at 5:16 PM. Reason: direct link to site with items for sale and requesting donations

dmaxwelljr

I have found some information about Rev James Maxwell 1st Presbyterian Church of Omagh 1699..he died 1750...his son was Rev John Maxwell m Rose Carson/Carsan (prob d/o Robert Carsan merchant at Strabane). The Early Presbyterian Historical Library in Belfast stated their records connect Rev James Maxwell to William Maxwell of Strabane d 1709 - he was son of Thomas Maxwell of Strabane d 1702 owner of Kirkminister, High Sheriff of Tyrone 1681.

Anyone interested please contact me
    Don Maxwell M.D.
    dmaxwelljr AT hotmail DOT com
    Last edited by Jan1954; 25-09-2012 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Email address edited to try to foil spammers

CassieK

Hi Don

It would appear you have similar information given to me with some family papers.

I have the MAXWELL family you have described in my tree and the connection is via the Rev James MAXWELL's daughter Jane.

From family papers...written by my gggrandfather's sister Elizabeth JACK 1830-1914. My information in ellipsis

"My great grandfather [Rev Andrew WELSH 1706-1781 ] married Miss Jane MAXWELL[1717-] of Omagh. Her father the Rev James MAXWELL [1661-1750]preached sixty years in Omagh. There has been a new church built and in it there was erected a marble tablet to his memory in which it says he was the direct ancestor of the present Lord Farnham."

Also with the papers -

"From 1688 till 1699 the congregation of Omagh was vacant, but on the 8th of November 1699, Mr James Maxwell was ordained as its minister. He died on Feb 1st 1750 at the advanced age of eighty-nine.....
    The present church was built for Mr Maxwell in the year 1721.....
    The people furnished the materials, and the masonry cost the modest sum of [illegible could be 6? 10?]...
    Jane Maxwell, a daughter of the Rev James Maxwell, of Omagh, was married to Rev Andrew Welsh of Ardstraw, who was the fifth in descent from John Knox".

I have no other information on the MAXWELL family.

Cheers
    Cassie