Thumbs up Bristol Family History Societies

I would like very much to join the area of Bristol where the Cantle ancestors once lived. I am trying to find some connection to John Cantle from Bristol, and have found new couples a James Cantle and a Ann Scudamore from Bitton Parish married on the 2nd July 1758, and a John Cantle (coal miner) married a Anna Palmer from Bitton also on the 1st May 1760 a coal miner also. Iam hoping they are related to the late John Cantle who married on the 1st February 1768 at St. Anne Syston he also was born in Bristol. Have a safe weekend.

Janet

Coromandel

Hi Janet

The Bristol & Avon Family History Society's territory includes the Hanham/Bitton area. This is their web address:

https://www.
    bafhs.org.uk/index.php

Hollytree

The Bristol & Avon FHS have many cds and transcriptions, so look them up as suggested by Coromandel

And have a look at the Bitton Families website which might give you some help/ideas

bittonfamilies.com/index.htm (put www in front)

Good hunting

Anne

Their quarterly journal is good too. I have had loads of help from B&A members with my husband's ancestors. A really friendly FH Society
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Coromandel

D. P. Lindegaard's 'Kingswood Index' is described as 'an index of historical inhabitants of the Forest of Kingswood, including the parishes of Bitton, St George, Mangotsfield, Siston, Wick & Abson, St Philip & St Jacob etc.'. This super collection is online at

https://www.
    bristolfamilyhistory.co.uk/kingswood-index

Thank you very much for your help, some areas are hard for me to search in. I would love to purchase a CD on Burials 1754-1812 that the Bristol Family have but they request Sterling Pounds only, this makes it hard when you live in Australia. Thanks for your help once again.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by jpritcha View Post
    I would love to purchase a CD on Burials 1754-1812 that the Bristol Family have but they request Sterling Pounds only, this makes it hard when you live in Australia.
    If you look at the society's page on Internet Sales you'll find a way of paying by plastic: the prices will be calculated in pounds, and then converted by your bank. If it's anything like UK banks, there's likely to be a commission fee for the conversion.

If you don't have a credit or debit card, or prefer not to use them online, I once heard that some of the Australian family history societies have a facility for writing sterling cheques at a much lower fee than a bank would charge for the transaction. Or do you know anyone who's lived or travelled here who might have kept a UK account going?

Arthur

Hello to you all, I have searched in all the areas that you have mentioned, some I have no luck at all, regarding purchasing CD's the BAFHS won't accept them so I searched in another area where I can purchase the CD's. Thanks for your help.

Janet