Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pennydog

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    . If you can get to the FHC in London, the BTs are already in stock there.:
    Not sure if anyone has posted this, but the London centre closed for refurbishment on 20th August - there is no date given for when it is likely to reopen.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    Not sure if anyone has posted this, but the London centre closed for refurbishment on 20th August - there is no date given for when it is likely to reopen.
    Thanks for the reminder. There was talk of the records going to TNA for the duration, but I haven't heard any news on that recently.

Findem

Hi,

Something that might be of use later if you run out of clues.

Trawling the Thaxted PRs (online) in the period 1600s and 1700s I noticed quite a number of Wren entries, also that there were some marriages and the odd burial of various people stated to be "of Littlebury", I don't recall if any of the Littlebury people were Wrens.

The main reason I recall the Wren entries is because a family of that name were next door neighbours of my aunt and uncle in Chelmsford, my cousin and the daughter of the Wrens were best friend. As a toddler on a seaside excursion the two girls took charge of me, took me down to the water, dropped me and under I went. I suppose the names of people who, in a very young mind tried to drown you, tend to be remembered, probably why I've a tendency to be mistrustful of females especially near water!!

Regards

mtw63

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, but I have now looked at the Essex Ancestors parish records and I have found James & Mary Wren (Kemp) in Littlebury with eight children. The only problem is that based upon the information I have found I think four of his childern had died by 1840 unless some of the Wren deaths are part of another family (the ages at death do seem to mathc up though?.

mtw63

I have found one death record for a Mary Wren in 1852 which fits in and have found the burial record on Essex Ancestors. However, having obtained the death certificate, Mary's husband is named as William rather than James? I can't find another record that matches unless she dies elsewhere, maybe with one of her children?

janbooth

Do all the other details fit on the death certificate, i.e. age, where she was living, husband's occupation, etc. and who was the informant? Looking at the 1851 census records, there is only the one Mary WREN living in Littlebury and she is the one married to James. I have the same predicament with one of my direct line in that on the death certificate the ex husband is shown as Thomas whereas, if she is mine, his name should be Richard and the actual burial record just shows her name and age (both correct for my Jane) and there is only one Jane living in the correct place shown in the census record just prior to her death (mine again). Information on the death certificate can be incorrect, especially if the informant is not a member of the family. What does the burial record actually state?

Janet

mtw63

They seem to - the death certificate states Mary died on 15th October 1852 aged 59 years, wife of William Wren, labourer - all seems to fit to there apart from the husbands name. The informant was Sarah Wren, present at the death, Bridge St, Saffron Walden. I am not sure who Sarah is. Mary had a daughter Sarah but I believe that she died as an infant. Maybe this is her daughter-in-law - but as yet I haven't been able to track her.

On another note, Mary's husband James was born around 1793 in Littlebury. I cannot find record of a baptism for James but have found one in Saffron Walden in 1796 of a James Wren to parents John & Grace - how can I go about verifying if this is the correct James?

Thanks

mtw63

I think I have possibly answered my own question - I have found a Sarah Wren living in Bridge St Saffron Walden on the 1851 census.

She is married to Thomas Wren born in Saffron Walden in the late 1790's. I suspect that this is Mary's sister-in-law.

Time for some more digging

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12