Eileen Sherrell

Default Joseph SHERRELL born 1816 Devon

My G.Grandfather served during the Crimean War, I have been told he served on several ships.
    His Name is Joseph Sherrell, b. Devon 1816, served with the Coastguards in Essex during the 1850's and 1860's.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello Eileen, and welcome to the forums.

I have moved your post from the end of an old thread to a new thread of its own. No doubt the coastguard experts will be along soon.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Eileen

I'm not sure about the sequence of your posts, but since you do seem to be asking about Joseph I'll give you what I have. He first entered the CG Service on 14 February 1848, having been nominated from HMS Albion, with a first posting to Richmond (West Mersea, Essex). To find out about his career in the Royal Navy you would have to consult Albion's Description Book (ADM 38/7490), this would provide a physical description and details of all his previous ships, unfortunately this can only be done in person at the National Archives, Kew.

On 17 October 1856 he was promoted to Commissioned Boatman and transferred to Walton Gap. The records are a little confusing because he is also shown as having been transferred to Clacton Wash on the same date (ADM 175/9 pdf 172). He is still at Clacton Wash in the late 1860's (ADM 175/34 pdf 58).

On 14 December 1865 he must have blotted his copy book because he lost all three of his Good Conduct Badges - a loss of three pence a day in pay! However, on 1 July 1867 one of his badges was reinstated. According to this record he was born on 19 April 1816.

I have tried to continue to trace his career using ADM 175/35, but the NA website is currently playing me up. But returning to his earlier career there was a Jos Sherrill on HMS Endymion during the 1st China War, entitled to the 1842 China War Medal, I suspect this is also your man.

Martin
    Coastguards of Yesteryear

Eileen Sherrell

Cool Joseph Sherrell

Thank you Martin for all the information you have posted to me, I thought I would never get to find out
    about my g.Grandfather and his early history. I have someone in the UK who may go to Kew for me
    to do the research you mention. I really appreciate all you have sent. Eileen.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Eileen

Just to complete the story. I finally managed to download ADM 175/35, and on pdf 105 Joseph is shown as being pensioned from Clacton Wash on 30 June 1869.

Martin

Eileen Sherrell

Thank you Martin for the last information you sent, I did download some of the NA info on Coastguards, but in the end I chickened out.
    A friend in England also had a look and was waiting for a son to have a look. I sent him the info you sent me.
    Eileen.