clarefmshaw

Question naval/coastguard ratings: abbreviations and meanings

I wonder if anyone can confirm the meaning of a couple of ratings' abbreviations found on the continuous service record of my g-g-grandfather, John Crone?

At the start of his CS naval record in 1846, his RN rating is given as 'LM': I can't find any explanation of this abbreviation. Later in 1860, when he joins the coastguard service, his rating is '1st man' - presumably 'boatman'? By 1869 he is a 'Com Btm' - ?commissioned boatman (by 1875 he is Chief Boatman).

I also would be grateful if anyone could explain the differences in responsibility of these different ratings in the coastguard service - boatman, chief boatman? John's brother, Timothy Crone, is a also a coastguard, and he becomes a Chief Officer - is this the same as 'chief boatman'?

Many thanks for any help with this....
    Clare

AnnB

Hello Clare
    LM was the abbreviation used in the Royal Navy for Landsman (later Landman). This was a man without any Naval training who served on board a warship. As being a sailor wasn't their 'profession' (they were very often agricultural workers or labourers who wanted to get away from the land) they were classed as 'volunteers', supposedly being immune to being 'pressed'. The Press Gangs usually concentrated their efforts on impressing men who had some knowledge of the sea, fishermen, merchant sailors, even smugglers, as they had a good understanding of what was required at sea. It was not really in their interests to impress men who had no idea of one end of a ship from another! However, during the Naval wars of the 18thC, anyone could be taken as they were desperate for men to man the ships. These Landsmen were not paid as much as an Ordinary Seaman. The rank was abolished in the early 1860's and replaced by that of Ordinary Seaman 2nd Class.
    Sorry I can't help with anything about coastguards.
    Best Wishes
    Ann

busyglen

Hi Clare....me again

If you would like to click on this link it explains a bit about the different ratings.

www.
    mariners-l.co.uk/UKCoastguards.html

Good luck.

Glenys

clarefmshaw

Smile

thanks Ann and Glenys both - brilliant stuff! my questions answered!

best wishes
    Clare