Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Default De-ciphering Medal Roll

Under the column "How issued or disposed of" what does MR mean, where the R is a small capital?
    Under the column "Remarks" what does IC 1384/1919 mean?
    Answers gratefully received.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    Under the column "How issued or disposed of" what does MR mean, where the R is a small capital?
    Under the column "Remarks" what does IC 1384/1919 mean?
    Looking at an explanation of Royal Naval Medal Roll abbreviations, I would say..

• How issued or disposed of, Mr = issued to the the mother
    • Remarks IC 1384/1919 = the 'Index Casualty number in the Naval Records for Wills.' It looks like your chap may have died in 1919.

See this document for a list of abbreviations.

www.
    findmypast.co.uk/cms/fmp/pdf/NavalMedalabbreviations.pdf

I just happened to be on fmp, but I've previously come across the relevant abbreviations on the National Archives. I'll check in a moment.

A list of abbreviations found in ADM 171 can be found on the National Archives guide to Medals, British armed services and can also be found here. Scroll toward the bottom of the page.

Thanks olliecat, a very helpful link. It does raise another question, the abbreviation IC 1000/1914 Refers to relevant NL (Wills paper). Sadly it doesn't elaborate as to what they are and where they may be found. Any ideas?
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    It does raise another question, the abbreviation IC 1000/1914 Refers to relevant NL (Wills paper). Sadly it doesn't elaborate as to what they are and where they may be found. Any ideas?
    Frankly I have no idea. On fmp, the I.C reference is explained as follows...

"This entry is always applicable to a deceased Officer. It refers to the 'Index Casualty' number in the Naval Records for Wills and allowed reference to the Legatee named in the Officer's Will".

Casualty indexes are mentioned in this TNA document here that possibly relate.

I did search for a clearer explanation on the TNA earlier but I ran out of time. Whilst searching, I came across a post elsewhere and the poster said this refers to either to officers who died in service and the date (i.e. IC 1384/1914) indicates the year of death or if discharged then it indicates the year of the medal claim. The poster also mentioned that according to the TNA, the IC reference does not lead to any other document and is now obsolete.

I don't know how factually correct any of this is. Someone else here may know more.

Do you know when your chap died? Have you checked to see if he left a will?

Thanks, that clears up part of it. IC 1384/1919 ties in with his death in 1919. So now I'lll see whether he left a Will.
    Peter Nicholl