Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    garyboy

Default Robinson of Basford/ hucknall torkard

Iam tracing my Grandfathers history, his name is GEORGE ROBINSON, belived to have been born Hucknall Torkard.
    He was born 1898, and married Emily Robinson ( Easom ) 1921. in Old Basford.and died Basford 1959.
    I need to confirm that his father might have been Henry Robinson and his mother might have been Mary Ann Robinson ( scott )
    Can anybody help with this family line
    thanks

MarkJ

The first thing you need is the marriage certificate for George and Emily.

Dec quarter 1921 Basford district 7b 627

I would also look at the 1901 and 1911 census to see if you can locate him with his parents.

I have Easom connections via my wife, although there were at least a couple of distinct Easom families in the Nottingham area. I would be interested in her family - parents etc if you have that info.

There is a Henry and Mary A Robinson, with a son called George in the 1901 census, living on Portland Road. However to confirm you have the right father, you really need that marriage certificate I think.

Mark

Richard1955

Hi Gary
    Unfortunately there are too many options for births and census so you need the marriage certificate
    for the father's name and occupation.
    Unless you have the names of any brothers, sisters or mother of George Robinson.

janbooth

Two candidates that I can find on the Notts FHS Baptismal Index with a Hucknall or Basford connection:

10 March 1898 at Hucknall Torkard George ROBINSON son of Henry & Mary Ann ROBINSON, 30 Taylor's Buildings, Collier

17 October 1898 (born 7 September) at Basford of a George ROBINSON son of George Sands & Mary Louisa ROBINSON, Lincoln St, Grocer.

George son of Henry & Mary Ann is in the 1901 census of Hucknall living at 20 Portland Road with parents & siblings (RG13/3157, folio 59, page 19)

George son of George & Mary Louisa is in the 1901 census of Old Basford living at Alpine St, 6 West Hill Place with parents & sister (RG13/3189, folio 48, page 35)

Unless you have George & Emily's marriage certificate it is impossible to tell with any certainty which is your George.

Janet

garyboy

Thanks All for your quick reply.
    My Living aunt has just informed me , George had his roots in Hucknall, and was almost certain he was a miner, as was George, and she remember a gran called a Mary Scott so the Portland Road one looks to be correct.
    I have also now traced further back to his Granfather, a James Robinson (b 1847 ) Married to a Rebecca Robinson ( b 1848 ) ( Mills ) Whoes father was a William Mills.( 1887- 1889 )
    On the 1881 census it shows a William Mills aged 66 living with a John Robinson ...my Great Grandad.
    Iam almost sure now this is the correct line, I shall try and trace other family members...thanks all for yor help:

MARK, The Easoms were a very big family in Basford, my Gran was one of 10 children. Let me know the line you are tracing and ill try and help.
    thanks
    GARY

MarkJ

Hi Gary,

The farthest back Easom I have is George, born Old Basford around 1847 to 1851. Not 100% sure who his parents were - and I haven't worked on that line as yet, so no certificates (and yes, I know I should order at least his marriage cert!), but he married an Eliza from Culham in Oxfordshire - probably had the surname Rimes or Rhymes.
    Children include a George, born in Castleford, Yorks; a William in Derbyshire and some others in Yorkshire.

By 1891, they were back in Basford (RG12 Piece: 2668 Folio: 85 Page: 24)
    My wife is the Easom descendant, via George and son George. The son George married a Caunt and their son John, known as Jack, was my wifes grandfather and a Burma Star veteran.

Cheers,

Mark

janbooth

Butting in on this Mark, as I have the PR Transcripts for Culham so you can file this for later research:

3 February 1850 at Culham Eliza RHYMES daughter of Robert & Jane RHYMES, Labourer, baptised. Several siblings - let me know if you would like further details.

Interesting that the marriage of George EASOM & Eliza did not take place until Dec qtr 1881 at Pontefract reg district as according to the 1881 census they were already man & wife and had 2 children!

Two candidates for the baptism of George EASOM on Notts FHS Baptismal Index at Basford:

15 July 1850 George son of William & Sarah EASOM, Labourer, baptised
    27 December 1852 George son of George & Catharine EASOM, Labourer, baptised

Robert RHIMES is in the 1881 census of Sutton Courtenay, Berkshire, shown as a widowed Rag Collector born c1811 at Culham. No marriage for Robert & Jane on the Oxfordshire Marriage Index nor at Culham according to the PR Transcripts although there is a marriage on Family Search Beta on 23 May 1836 at Radley, Berks of a Robert RIMES & a Jane HOOK.

Janet

garyboy

I have a George in my tree:
    born 1881, and lived at 144 Park Lane. where most of my family line lived.
    he was the son of William Henry Easom, ( my great granfather ) who is buried in the Northern cemetery Bullwall.I have his burial records as the Grave was brought by his wief Elizabeth ann Easom.
    When tracing George I found he served in the 1st world war.
    Is this the same line as yours

MarkJ

Sorry to be slow replying - family have been visiting.

garyboy - nope, different Easom family. I have seen your George in Park Lane, but mine was the son of a George and born in Castleford, Yorkshire. George Senior was however born in Old Basford - so there could be a connection there between our two familes. I need to look at that branch in more detail I think!

Janet - Yep, the birth was before the marriage! I suspect George (Snr) met Miss Rhymes/Rimes whilst serving in the Grenadier Guards, barracked at St James' in London. The marriage took place in Pontefract, which is only 5 miles or so from Normanton, where they are listed as living on the 1881 census - and listed as both being Easoms, despite the marriage not yet having taken place!
    At least, that seems to be the case - as I mentioned, I don't think I have the certificate for that marriage, I need to either look through the papers I collected following the death of my mother in law or actually cough up the cash for a copy! Without the info from the certificates, I may end up with the wrong family - as you mention, two different Georges, but luckily, they had different fathers names!

Thanks for the input - it all helps to sort things out!

garyboy

Thanks for reply.
    If I come accross anything ill let you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast