Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scotbrummie

Default Immortal gt gt grandad?

My gt gt Grandfather was Alexander McElwee, born about 1815 in Clondavaddog, Co Donegal. He & his wife Mgt Peebles settled in Glasgow in 1835. I have managed to trace each Census for this family, even when the transcriber put their surname down as 'MacElhose'. By the 1881 Census Mgt is a widow but I have been totally unable to find a death for Alexander on the SP site. He appears on the 1871 Census so I usually try 1871 to 1881 in the search. I have tried a combination of names, even having his first name as 'Al' believing less is more in this computer lark. Any ideas???
    Thanks, in desperation,
    Scotbrummie

Richard1955

Hi SB
    McElwee seems to be the most used spelling as there are some in Liverpool on the earlier UK census.
    No death for Alexander in the UK though. I've checked.
    Perhaps you should try searching the surname only in case he was known as something other than Alexander.

Famous for offering help & advice

You may have already discounted this one - but the nearest I could see was a death in 1874 of a 52 yr old Alexander Mcelwee ( also appears as Macelwee),birth year 1822, in Glasgow city, Hutchesontown

Scotbrummie

I'll try again as any 'matches' I paid for on SP invariably turn out to be called McColl or Maxwell! Unfortunately when Alex left Ireland his surname was McElhinny and his bride was called Peoples but I'm guessing officials at the church where they married in 1835 couldn't understand them properly and wrote down what their names sounded like. I've even tried searching the deaths for McElhinny without success. Will persevere, but thanks for all help.
    Moira

I looked again at SP but no joy so far even using the 'surnames beginning with' option and building up the name in various ways.

The 1874 Alexander McElwee death is possibly also on the Catholic death register for St Peter's Dalbeith Cemetery. But of course may not be yours as age is out.

Do you have Margaret's death? That could lead you to a cemetery record where - possibly - Alexander might also be buried. Glasgow City Council or the Mitchell library might advise as they both hold some cemetery records.

Knowledgeable and helpful

On the MI's for Old Dalbeth there is a Mc Elhinney Entry no. 31, 61

A man on another site has transcribed all the surviving headstones and taken photos. He is happy to help if he can. I will pm you the details.
    You could be lucky.
    Chasing Caseys

Scotbrummie

Thanks for getting back. Unfortunately when I visited St Peter's cemetery in London Rd, Glasgow recently, Alexander's widow Mgt is buried with their daughter and her family. Her son in law was Catholic hence the burial at St Peter's but Mgt, Alexander and their children were not Catholics.
    Moira

Scotbrummie

Thanks so much, chasing caseys, for the pm about Gerry. I have been there in search of them before but he couldn't find any McElwees/ McElhinneys. Pressing on with at least the good thoughts of this site behind me!
    Moira

Moira, I couldn't help help checking the 1874 death and it is your man. The writing is very faint and the age could actually be 59 I think. Can give you the details if you like (but I expect you will want to see it for yourself).

Knowledgeable and helpful

Grisel i am so glad you checked that death. I just got more credits on SP out of suspense !
    Chasing Caseys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast