Starting to feel at home

Default Finding the correct death record

Hi
    I am just coming back to my family history after a long time away and I wanted to try and find the death record for my g-g-grandad John Ashton. The problem is that I have located 3 different entries at around the same time all in the area I am researching which is Louth in Lincolnshire. Is there any other resource out there that will help me to narrow down exactly which one is the correct entry so that i can apply for the certificate.
    The entries i have discovered are:
    John Ashton June 1844 September 1844 and September 1845 Louth
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Janna

Brick wall demolition expert!

Looking at the burial index for burials of John ASHTON that occurred in the Louth registration district between 1841 and 1851...

Buried at Covenham St Bartholomew on 21 Aug 1844. infant
    Buried at Louth St James on 26 Jun 1844. Age 68
    Buried at Louth St James on 14 Aug 1845. Age 68
    Buried at Louth St James on 1 Oct 1849. Age 37

You don't say how old your John Ashton is. If he is likely to be around 68. then there is still the problem of distinguishing between the one who died in 1844 and the one in 1855. What was your John's occupation?

You could try specifying an occupation when you order the death certificate.

Coromandel

Hi Janna

I see that there's more about this family in your earlier thread (and a Rootschat thread mentioned there).

Since then there has been an exciting development for Lincolnshire researchers: you can now see digital images of many Lincolnshire parish registers on the 'Lincs to the Past' site. The burial register for Louth St James for 1842-1853 can be found here:

https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Burials/715062.record?pt=T

The entry for the 68 year old John Ashton buried on 26 June 1844 can be found on image 28 of 154. Abode is given as Louth.

Off to look for the other one now . . .

Edit: the other one (14 August 1845) is on image 44 of 154. Annoyingly he too is just shown as of Louth.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Janna,
    After re-reading the previous thread, I thought you'd come to the conclusion that your John was the one who died in 1845.

Post #18
    Well I had two possible deaths for my John, as you can see from the posts. The problem for me was which was my John as they both died within a year of each other and were both listed as 68 years old when they died. So if the death you quoted was for the other John then mine must be the 1845 death.
    Though that does of course depend on how accurate Bryan's statement of his John dying in 1844 is. i.e. does he have the death certificate which indicates that John was the husband of Charlotte.
    Pam

Starting to feel at home

Default Finding the correct death record

Hi Olliecat,Coromandel and Pam Downes
    Thank you for replying. The information about the lincs to the past website are very helpful.
    Pam I completely forgot that I had previously posted about this death as I said I have not been involved with my family history for some time now.
    My John was married to Elizabeth and he was a farmer.
    At least I am a little further forward now thanks to all your help. Thanks again.