Dorset Girl

Default Was there an "etiquette"with bridesmaids?

I have a photo of my grandmother's wedding in 1903. She has two bridesmaids in the photo, one I am fairly sure was her cousin, as she was a signature on the Marriage Certificate. The other lady is a problem - it is not my Grandmother's sister as she is in the photograph at the back. I have assumed therefore that the other bridesmaid could be another cousin (ie sister to the other bridesmaid) but someone has suggested that it could be one of the groom's sisters.

Does anyone know if it was "normal" in the early 1900's for the bride to choose members from her own family first or mix it up with one from her family and one from the "other side".

One more slight query - was it usual to put all of the groom's family on one side and all of the bride's on the other in photographs - with possibly the two fathers at the rear together?

Help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Marion

Loves to help with queries

A relative of my husband's was married in Stockport in 1906 and the chief bridesmaid was a Miss Quayle of the Isle of Man, so she must be related to the groom. The two little bridesmaids are said to be nieces. One is the daughter of the bride's brother, but I am not certain of the other's parentage, although she comes from Cheshire, so probably related to the bride, cicilysmith

Nicolina

in 1912 when my grandparents married, one of the bridesmaids was a friend of grandma's. I met her at the 50th anniversary. but cannot remember her name

DorothySandra

Bridesmaids are supposed to be the bride's friends - there's no formal etiquette about relations, just family expectation (not always reasonable) One bridesmaid is likely to be the bride's best friend, and not necessarily related to either of the families. It is also likely that she is a witness on the certificate, the other witness being the best man.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by DorothySandra View Post
    there's no formal etiquette about relations, just family expectation (not always reasonable)
    Which is why my daughter ended up with nine (both sexes) following on behind.

Dorset Girl

Thanks for all of those thoughts. The other witness on the Certificate was the bride's father! The two ladies look so similar in features that is why I thought they could be her two cousins - the second one may have to remain a mystery!

By the way does anyone know of a good face recognition programme? I'm sure Picassa does but I don't want all of the photos organised by Picassa - I've googled but can't seem to find what I want.

Marion

DorothySandra

See what I mean? every family does what it wants!

deeree

When my parents married, my mother's only sister was pregnant and therefore deemed unsuitable for bridesmaid duties. Without discussing it with my mother, my father asked one of his sisters to be my mother's bridesmaid. Just to round off the party neatly, he asked his sister's husband to be his bestman. Mother was not best pleased!