Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Where was MAESYDREF ?

I've just received the 1854 marriage certificate for one of my wife's ancestors. His name Robert Roberts, residence at time of marriage written as Maesydref. His wife was Hannah Morris from Mold. The ceremony occured in the Mold parish church.
    On the 1861 census Roberts birthplace is recorded as Mold in 1834.
    According to Google Earth Maesydref is in Glamorgam. Isn't that a bit far from Mold? Was there a coal mine in Flintshire called Maesydref?

David

terrysfamily

Hi David.

Have a look here

www.
    gbstreets.co.uk/st/maesydref_ll57

It says it's in Bangor, Gwynedd. Don't take any notice of the map on the right, it's showing Arerica for some reason!

Terry

Richard1955

Where's Arerica Terry?

terrysfamily

Sorry, America, come on it's early

If you use that site for streets near Maesydref along with this town map of Bangor

www.
    streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=257949&y=372359&z=0&sv=ll57%202dg&st=Pos tCode&lu=N&tl=University%20of%20Wales,%20Bangor&ar =y&bi=~&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

It may help you find where it is or was.

Terry
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 16-06-2011 at 8:17 AM. Reason: direct link to site containing advertising

terrysfamily

Although there is or was a place in mold its seflf called Maesydre, without the 'F' on the end.

Gotta go, works calling.

malcolm99

The National Gazateer of Wales [ homepage.ntlworld.com/geogdata/ngw/m.htm (https:// in front) ] lists:

Maes-y-dre Flintshire N Wales
    Maes-y-Dre Denbighshire Wrexham N Wales

malcolm99

Maes-y-dre. It's on the northern outskirts of Mold. This is an 1878 OS map:

british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55185&sheetid=3571&zm=1&x=317 &y=203&ox=3885&oy=1246 (www in front)

John Nicholas

If my Welsh is sufficiently strong, I think maesydref (with or without hyphens, with or without the final f) means "town field". I imagine you might find any number of them across Wales and it's a matter of judgement and context which appears to be the best fit.
    John

Knowledgeable and helpful

Big thank you to everyone for your replies. Even Wikipaedia was pointing me to Glamorgan. I knew that I had the spelling correct from the marriage certificate because the handwriting was very clear - the best I've seen for many a year!!

Once again, the members of BG have satisfied my curiosity - hope you all have a great day.
    David