neilelliott21

Default British citizens in West Indies

Hi. I am looking for the birth details of a British Citizen - Joseph Le Guay b.1816 Demerara Guyana.
    I believe his father was also Joseph. Also can anyone enlighten me as to what they may have been doing there?
    He is listed as a captain in the army.
    Thank you so much!
    Neil

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Neil if you Google !816 Demerara Revolt, you'll find lots of history on the subject.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

neilelliott21

Thank you, I have just been reading about it. Must have been scary times on both sides.

Neil, is the chap on 1881 UK census yours. It states he was born in the West Indies.Two marriages are shown for him in UK along with his Probate date on the National Prbate Calendar, his unmarried Dtr Amelia as administrator.

1881: Islington= RG11; Piece: 250; Folio: 117; Page: 56;

1851 with his 1st wife & Family also states b. West Indies..Bristish Subject. Living Greenwich with 2 children.
    HO107; Piece: 1587; Folio: 223; Page: 25;

Haven't had luck with W.I.BMDs yet but they are out there

Census Copywrite held TNA
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by neilelliott21 View Post
    Hi. I am looking for the birth details of a British Citizen - Joseph Le Guay b.1816 Demerara Guyana.
    There is an entry for Joseph LE GUAY in the 'Civil Service Evidence of Age' index on the pay/subscription site findmypast. You may want to go and view this, bearing in mind that it is an index entry. You can order the record that the index refers to from the Society of Genealogists (SoG).

If you are lucky, the record held by SoG could be a birth or baptism record.

I cleverly logged out &tried to add this..didn't work,

Regimental registers

The Regimental Registers date from 1761-1924 and include British Regiments in the UK, Ireland and overseas. The records cover births/baptisms. If you are unable to find your ancestors in these records you should note that the Overseas department of the General Registry Office also holds additional records of regimental marriages taking place between 1761 and 1924 that have never been indexed. These additional records have never been indexed and are not available online.

GRO Regimental Birth Indices 1761–1924
    GRO Regimental Birth Indices Supplement 1761–1924

Chaplains' returns

The Chaplains’ returns are a set of records that were compiled by chaplains to the forces covering births/baptisms, deaths and marriages from 1796-1880. As the Chaplains were working for the forces, you may find that some of these records are duplicated in the Regimental records.

GRO Army Chaplains Birth Indices 1796-1880
    GRO Army Chaplains Death Indices 1796–1880
    GRO Chaplains Returns Marriages 1796-1880

Taken from https://www.
    ramsdale.org/overseas.htm

Several other offers if you Google .
    Happy Families
    Wendy

neilelliott21

Thank you. That is him. What the National Probate Calendar?
    Neil

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by neilelliott21 View Post
    What the National Probate Calendar?
    The National Probate Calendar is an index to wills and administrations proved/granted after 1858. The entry for Joseph Le Guay in the Calendar reads...

LE GUAY Joseph of 46 King's-square St. Lukes Middlesex died 18 January 1901 Administration London 15 January to Amelia Le Guay spinster Effect £89 11s.

Note: Administration was granted on 15 January 1907

Since this was an administration, it means he died without leaving a will and Amelia was granted administration of his estate.

Edit: Looking at the BMD index, it appears that Joseph's second wife Martha Rosamond Le Guay nee Pike died in the first quarter of 1901, which is possibly why Amelia ended up dealing with his estate.