bearkin

Default Queens Street, Chelsea

I have looked for Queens Street, Chelsea, which is a location in the 1851 census, but cannot find it in Multimap. Does anyone know what it is now called?

thanks,

Pete

AnnB

Try the maps section of the GENUKI web site at https://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/LND/#Maps There are a lot of on-line maps for London (including Greenwood's) but they do take a bit of patience while they download. Having looked at a couple of old London maps, I found a Queen Street which ran between the Kings Road and Queen's Road, just at the end of Cheyne walk.

Best wishes
    Ann

Reputation beyond repute

Do we get a clue?

Which parish? Nearby streets?

bearkin

Smile Thanks

Thanks AnnB and Peter.

I followed Ann's lead and did indeed find Queen Street on the Greenwood map. It looks like it is now called Flood Street.

Thanks for your help,

Pete

mlarooij

Default Queen st. Chelsea

In a situation like this I find a nearby street still with the same name & search the census for that, then around it.

foulshamgirl

Queens Street in Chelsea no longer exists but I have looked at old maps and modern ones and it used to run parallel to Flood Street and Shawfield Street (between the two). Shawfield Street was shorter then and now joins Redesdale Stree. However, there is a small bit of Queens Street remaining from a turning on Flood Street about halfway down between Kings Road and Redesdale Street going towards Shawfield Street. Hope this helps others looking for Queens Street in Chelsea.