BrianBS

Default Research assist tool available on request

I have, over time, developed a simple tool that effectively controls the research that I am doing on the numerous branches of my family tree.

The tool, on an Excel spreadsheet, is basically divided into three sections: genealogical information including source data; research history with hyperlinks to various family trees sites; and filing records where hardcopy documents have been filed. All the foregoing is per individual.

Trace notes, completed research and areas of focus are also included.

One of the main advantages is that the tool enables the researcher to digress when doing research. For example, coming across a web site that may be useful later or finding information about an ancestor by accident and recording it immediately without losing focus on what the researcher was originally trying to do.

The tool, suitable for beginners and experienced researchers, requires little to no Excel spreadsheet knowledge.

Please contact me at brianbs(AT)telkomsa(DOT)net (email address disguised to avoid spam mail) for a pack consisting of guidelines, example spreadsheet and a template.

Brian

Richard1955

That sound very interesting.
    Perhaps I can do away with all the post it notes stuck on my walls and ceiling !
    I'll email you, thanks.
    Richard

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    That sound very interesting.
    Perhaps I can do away with all the post it notes stuck on my walls and ceiling !
    I'll email you, thanks.
    Richard
    Do pass it on Richard, my Genelaogy notepads get more excessive each day.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

I must admit to being less than well organised in my FH research, in fact somewhat chaotic at times.
    Yesterday I was looking for a particular address. I knew that I had seen it recently somewhere in the sytem; looked everwhere; rang my brother who had given me the details originally. His system is about on a par with mine. Lots of information all over the place in notebooks, files and scraps of paper. He couldn't exactly lay his hands on it but would look.

About five minutes after putting the phone down I turned over a copy of a photo which had not printed properly and the reverse side of which I had made some notes when chatting to my brother some weeks ago.

Yes, there it was! Lesson learned? I hope so but I shall probably sail along much as before.

radstockjeff

BrianBS

Hello radstockjeff
    For interest, The tool accomodates notes, per individual, for the following:
    Birth
    Baptism
    Marriage(s)
    Death
    Burial/Gravestones
    Occupation(s)
    Education
    Residence(s)
    Immigration/Travel and
    Other items of interest

Brian

suew203

What a good idea, I would be most interested in receiving details of this Excel spreadsheet, so I look forward to hearing from you, Many Thanks

alettacfb

alettacfbucknall AT yahoo DOT com i am useing exel but doing the census first then i will do the rest but it sounds like your way is quicker thank you

Bertie

Brian - just in case I am missing something, is there any benefit to using a spreadsheet such as yours where someone already uses genealogy software?

BrianBS

Default Research assist tool

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    Brian - just in case I am missing something, is there any benefit to using a spreadsheet such as yours where someone already uses genealogy software?
    Hello Bertie

I am not sure what genealogy software you are using however if it is a Gedcom product like Legacy, it only shows you the results of your research. The Research Assist tool shows you how you got the results, what sites you have visited (to avoid repeat searches), outstanding research that still has to be done, where documents are filed, supports side-tracking, etc - all per individual.

Please contact me at brianbs(AT)telkomsa(DOT)net and I'll send you a pack and then you can decide for yourself.

Regards
    Brian