Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Default Interesting relationships

I hope this is clear- it is as clear as I can make it without charts.

In this scenario there are two brothers EC and Joseph C

EC marries and has a daughter Jane (Jane C) who moves away from the family home to work

Joseph C marries Ann C and has a son Job

Jane C marries LukeW and Job marries Ann B

Jane and LW have a son MathewW Job and Ann B have a daughter MaryBC

MathewW marries MaryBC

Eldest daughter of MW and MBC was my grandmother.

In those far off days with limited communication and much family movement for work etc might this have been a fairly common occurrence. And what are the relationships?

radstockjeff
    Last edited by radstockjeff; 10-06-2011 at 3:02 PM. Reason: clarification

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by radstockjeff View Post
    In those far off days with limited communication and much family movement for work etc might this have been a fairly common occurrence.
    Yes. I have several instances in one branch of my family and it makes research as simple as knitting fog......

Quote Originally Posted by radstockjeff View Post
    And what are the relationships?
    Second cousins - or husband and wife - take your pick!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If I've followed this correctly, then Matthew W and Mary BC are both great grandchildren of EC and Joseph C's parents.
    And if so, then they are second cousins.

But Jan's answer of husband and wife is so much more accurate (even if it wasn't quite what jeff wanted to know! )
    Pam

Reputation beyond repute

You may be interested in this broadcast

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00pclfj

The new bourgeoisie played an enormously important role in the history of industrial and imperial Britain. The extent to which cousin marriage proliferated in the 19th century relates to the central question as to which people were going to lead Industrial England.

Close-knit families in Victorian England delivered enormous advantages. They shaped vocations, generated patronage, yielded vital commercial information and gave access to capital; no wonder that marriage within the family, between cousins or between in-laws, was a characteristic strategy of this new bourgeoisie.

Laurie Taylor discusses private life in 19th-century England with Adam Kuper, the author of Incest and Influence: The Private Life of Bourgeois England, and Catherine Hall, professor of modern British social and cultural history at University College, London.

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You may be interested in this broadcast

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00pclfj

The new bourgeoisie played an enormously important role in the history of industrial and imperial Britain. The extent to which cousin marriage proliferated in the 19th century relates to the central question as to which people were going to lead Industrial England.

Close-knit families in Victorian England delivered enormous advantages. They shaped vocations, generated patronage, yielded vital commercial information and gave access to capital; no wonder that marriage within the family, between cousins or between in-laws, was a characteristic strategy of this new bourgeoisie.

Laurie Taylor discusses private life in 19th-century England with Adam Kuper, the author of Incest and Influence: The Private Life of Bourgeois England, and Catherine Hall, professor of modern British social and cultural history at University College, London.
    Thanks for all your responses.
    I doubt whether agricultural labourers in rural Somerset would have somehow had quite the same impact. I'll try and listen to the broadcast however . It sounds quite interesting.

radstockjeff