Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    GeoffD

Question Edward G DREW, Illogan Highway

My g-g-grandfather is proving elusive after the 1861 census. He was born abt.1812 in Gwennap, and married Maria ?? who, according to the census info, was born in Norwich, Norfolk. I am having a lot of trouble finding out any more about them from over here in Australia.

One son, Samuel DREW (my g-grandfather) was born in Illogan, and married Jane HARRIS of Illogan in abt.1866 - their first daughter was born in Maine, USA in 1867. I understand that marriage registers of the possible years of marriage have been lost in a fire or some such.

Another son, John, appears to have moved to London and I have been able to track his movements throgh census and marriage information.

It may be that Edward went to the USA with Samuel and Jane - there are any number of possible Edward G's in the records there.

One thing that I do know is that Samuel was a Methodist lay-preacher in America then later here in Australia.

Any help from Illogan or Cornwall locals would be much appreciated. Even a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

rogerc

Two thoughts -- first the birth cert for Samuel will have the maiden name of his Mother
    and second i am surprised at the sugestion that marriage records are lost -- they should be held both locally and centrally - so would seem unlikley that both would be lost. Where have you tried so far to find the marriage?
    Roger

GeoffD

I had only got as far as FreeBMD in my searching around for this Drew bunch. Haven't been able to convincingly identify Samuel's birth yet, so until I can get that done, I am a bit stuck (Samuel Drew is not an uncommon name down that way!).

Maybe I need to find the wherewithal to visit Cornwall.

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Hi Geoff,

If your Samuel was born before 1840, or you want to find out if he had any older siblings born before that year ..... and the forename of his Mother, this site below sells a Baptism CD for Illogan 1813-1840. They also have one for 1720-1812 but unfortunately, nothing for Gwennap as yet. If Samuel was born before 1840, his baptism date (if he was baptised of course!) would at least help you to track down which birth ref is a *possible*for him. Unless of course he was baptised when he was 3 or something!

https://www.parishchest.com/
    Last edited by Guest; 13-08-2007 at 4:52 PM.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Geoffers

I note that the 1861 census gives the ages of teh family as;

Edward 50
    Maria, 59
    John, 16
    Samuel, 15

This means that Samuel is likely to have been one of the last to be born to the family. Have you tried earlier census returns for Illogan and the area? The 1851 census may show older children and their birth places - which will at least help to tie down the period in which your family lived in the area. The 1841 census, although giving less information, will at least show which of a group of people living in a household (who are likely to be related) were born in the county, or not. From there, you may begin to look in parish registers for baptisms and possibly a marriage. The ages of the couple means that they may have married prior to civil registration, so you won't find owt on freebmd. Similarly the birth of (all/some of) the children may not have been registered. But check the earlier census to get names and ages and then look in freebmd or 1837online in case the births were registered.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    One son, Samuel DREW (my g-grandfather) was born in Illogan, and married Jane HARRIS of Illogan in abt.1866 Geoff
    Hi again Geoff,
    Just in case you don't know about this site (which is not a free one as FreeBMD) 1837online
    you could search for a Samuel DREW marriage for a couple of years surrounding 1866, make a note of any ref you find, then search for a marriage of Jane HARRIS in the same quarter and year. Providing you get a matching ref for both of them ...... then you could order their marriage cert, if no luck with the OPC for Illogan.

Hi again Geoff,
    Please let me know if you've looked in the 1841 and 1851 Censuses? If you haven't, if you ask me nicely (seeing as it's you!) I'll see if I can find them for you (long trawling job, so you may be waiting some time)

AnnB

Hello Geoff

Just had a brainwave (I'm going to have a lie down in a minute ) and looked at FreeCen for Edward in 1841 (Cornwall 1841 is almost complete on there). I found him, but I don't think it is going to be much help -

HO107/142 Enumeration District: 4
    Civil Parish: Illogan
    Folio: 8 Page: 9
    Address: Illogan Highway

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    DREW Edward M 31 Carpenter Cornwall
    DREW Edward M 12 Carpenter Cornwall

Besy wishes
    Ann

Hi Geoff,
    Thanks to Ann looking up the 1841 Census on FreeCEN, this gave me the ref so I had a look at mine from Archive CD Books, just because I am curious!

Everything is as Ann says, but FreeCEN have got the ref slightly wrong,the correct Ref is: HO107/142/7/9/9.

My 1841 is surname indexed so I had a look for Maria, but there are only two listed ...... one a child and the other aged 40 is in the same household as a Roger DREW in the Launceston area, (just guessing that he is her husband).

It looks as though your Maria was visiting out of County/missed completely on the Census/mistranscribed her forename.

I'll make a start on the 1851 Census ..... this is not indexed by name, so I will have to trawl it, so see you later!
    Last edited by Diane Grant-Salmon; 30-07-2005 at 3:58 PM.

AnnB

Hello Diane
    Hope you read this before you start your trawl From Family History On Line

Parish Illogan Piece No 1915 Enumeration District 1e Folio 472 Schedule 116 Address Illogan Highway Name Edward DREW Rel HD Age 40 Sex M Occupation Master Carpenter Place of birth Gwennap, CON

This is just from the Cornwall FHS Index, but should point in the right direction (as long as it is more accurate that FreeCen )

Best wishes
    Ann

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast