Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dorset Girl View Post
    Hi Pam and Mutley -
    It looks as though Agent Ransack is the answer!!! I have downloaded it and found a picture - not where I put it at all but under a weird folder as described in that thread - (won't bother to put the whole of the folder!!)

Marion
    Could I suggest you create a shortcut to that new folder on your desktop Marion - that way you can easily find the images that you save from Ancestry to it. Thats what I did with my lost Scotlandspeople images (the thread that Pam linked you to) and I have had no problems finding them since. Once they are in that folder I just move them across to my pictures etc as I want.

Mitch

Dorset Girl

Thanks Roy and Mitch,

Roy - a useful idea and I tried that (by the way it wouldn't save it as http - said it had to be saved as https - I have come across this reminder before, so did that - then tried again - no difference - tried saving it in two places but when opening up the folders concerned - no picture!!!!

Mitch - Thank you for that idea - I have managed to save a shortcut to the desktop but it is really crazy file path name as you said - C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\T emporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\xxxxxxx\Pictures\From Ancestry.

At the moment I am email contact with Microsoft - I wrote to them last night, got a reply this morning with a couple of ideas - tried those but they haven't worked so emailed him back - will let you know if we progress!!

Thanks for all the help

Marion

Marion

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I had to get a new laptop last November which automatically came with Windows 7 Home Premium.
    I couldn't remember if I'd downloaded any images from Ancestry since November, and reading of other people's problems thought I'd better try.

Chose a 1901 census image, scaled it up to 150%, right-clicked on image, and got my usual drop down selection of
    View image
    Copy image
    Copy image location
    Save image as
    Send image
    Set as desktop background
    View image info

Clicked 'save image as'

Window showing my documents library, with two 'boxes' at the bottom of the page.

Top one says 'File name' outside of box, with 'image.x.jpg' in the box.
    There is a drop down option which leads to various files all beginning C:\Users\Public\Documents, and which on closer inspection seem to be the last images I saved as jpgs.
    Bottom one says 'Save as type' outside the box, with JPEG IMAGE' inside the box.
    There is also a drop down option on this box, with an alternative choice of 'all files'.

Deleted the 'image.x' before the .jpg and entered my own file name. Clicked 'save'.
    Found filed in expected place.

I can therefore see no change to what I was doing to save Ancestry images when I had XP on my old computer,

But.......
    I notice that comments have been made about IE, and I use Firefox, so is the problem caused by IE and Windows7?

Pam (the non-techie )
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 08-06-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Missed out crucial bit about saving image

Dorset Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I had to get a new laptop last November which automatically came with Windows 7 Home Premium.
    I couldn't remember if I'd downloaded any images from Ancestry since November, and reading of other people's problems thought I'd better try.

Chose a 1901 census image, scaled it up to 150%, right-clicked on image, and got my usual drop down selection of
    View image
    Copy image
    Copy image location
    Save image as
    Send image
    Set as desktop background
    View image info
    Clicked 'save image as'

Window showing my documents library, with two 'boxes' at the bottom of the page.

Top one says 'File name' outside of box, with 'image.x.jpg' in the box.
    There is a drop down option which leads to various files all beginning C:\Users\Public\Documents, and which on closer inspection seem to be the last images I saved as jpgs.
    Bottom one says 'Save as type' outside the box, with JPEG IMAGE' inside the box.
    There is also a drop down option on this box, with an alternative choice of 'all files'.

Deleted the 'image.x' before the .jpg and entered my own file name. Clicked 'save'.
    Found filed in expected place.

I can therefore see no change to what I was doing to save Ancestry images when I had XP on my old computer,

But.......
    I notice that comments have been made about IE, and I use Firefox, so is the problem caused by IE and Windows7?

Pam (the non-techie )
    Hi Pam,
    Think you should class that as "Techie" actually!!
    Obviously this appears to be a difference between IE & Firefox - when you right click on IE on Ancestry the only thing that comes up is Properties - which doesn't do a thing. The only way it can be saved is by clicking on the radial at the bottom of "Save" on the Ancestry image - and then save to Computer.

The File Name box is blank - the box underneath states JPEG - there is the drop down arrow on the right hand side but no alternative choices. Enter an appropriate file name (have even done it with the .jpg extension on the file, and a .jpeg extension (even tried a .tif extension for want of something better to do!) - and voila - nothing - nowhere!!

Would you believe that I have the copy of the link I found under Agent Ransack - and I can actually see the photos I have saved - but there is no way in the world that I can actually direct myself to that folder - I get as far as Temporary Internet Files and under that folder there should be another folder marked Visualized - there are no folders whatsoever - just files!!!! How crazy is this - I have everything unticked so that I can view all Hidden Files and Folders etc (Microsoft suggested this as well but I had already done it!)

I really do not want to download Firefox as well - I swore blind that I would not download more on to this computer that I really needed (have done this to my other computer and Charles Atlas would be proud of it!!!) so I am going to soldier on with this and see what Microsoft say - I might even have a go at Ancestry - that will be a waste of time!!

Apart from all of this I do love 7 - love the split screen idea and the ability to see all the open items on the bottom of the screen - it's a bit like the Mac in a way!

Thanks for the help - will keep you informed in case anyone else has this problem!

Marion

Famous for offering help & advice

Since I originally suggested Agent Ransack, can I come in here?

First, in Agent Ransack, when you get the list of results, you can open any of the files from there by double-clicking. You can also right-click on them for further options: in this case, "Explore here..." will open a Windows Explorer window, where you can work on the file (Copy, Move etc) as usual. Or you can use "Copy Path" and paste that into an existing Windows Explorer window. (Windows 7 security does not allow you to browse to the virtualised folders - you can only get there by pasting the complete path into the address bar of the Explorer window, or creating a shortcut and using that.) Or you can Copy etc directly within Agent Ransack.

Second, there is a difference between Internet Explorer and Firefox. (Mrs K uses IE and has this issue; I use Firefox and don't.) This is because they install things like Ancestry's advanced viewer in different ways, and with IE it is more of a separate program, that can't simply be disabled or uninstalled via the browser Add-ons functions.

Third, you can get around this problem, as has been suggested, by making Ancestry a trusted site. However, you need to be aware that you are then making all sites within the ancestry.co.uk (or ancestry.com) domain into safe sites, and not just their own data site. This could make you vulnerable to things on their user-controlled sites (eg Freepages etc). Mrs K did try setting up a more limited scope for the trusted sites - *search.ancestry.co.uk within which all the images appear, but then encountered various problems of being logged out when moving to different parts of the website, with the added annoyance of being repeatedly switched to their new search. So she found the Agent Ransack method, with a shortcut to the virtualised folder as well, to be the most satisfactory.

Arthur
    Last edited by arthurk; 08-06-2011 at 3:06 PM. Reason: Added a bit

Mutley

That's interesting, thank you all.
    I use Firefox so my little mouse is much happier about moving to Windows 7.
    He really did not like the idea of not being able to use his right foot.

Dorset Girl,
    I have found a way of saving images,
    Is to click the tap on your puto which say,s"print screen"... then i go into my "paint box " and save it from there.
    The only down side , you may acquire other parts of the screen you don't want ....but not being a puto nerd there must be a way of cutting those bits off.
    And it can be placed in your puto gallery

jim b

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
    Dorset Girl,
    I have found a way of saving images,
    Is to click the tap on your puto which say,s"print screen"... then i go into my "paint box " and save it from there.
    The only down side , you may acquire other parts of the screen you don't want ....but not being a puto nerd there must be a way of cutting those bits off.
    And it can be placed in your puto gallery

jim b
    Actually, that seems a very easy way to do it, at least it is in XP, regardless of the browser used.
    I hit 'Print Screen' on my keyboard, then 'Start', then 'All Programs' then 'Accessories' then 'Paint', then 'Paste'
    and, hey presto, there is the screen in all it's glory, easy to crop and easy to save as a jpeg to wherever you choose.

However, can this be done as easily in Windows 7?

Mutley

Dorset Girl,
    Please accept my apologies for interfering in your thread.
    Your question was regarding IE and Windows 7 while I am using Firefox and XP so I am not sure why I became involved.

However, I have found it interesting and after 30 years of using computers, the old dog is still willing to learn new tricks.
    So thank you

Dorset Girl

Not a problem Mutley - and thank you to all who have helped. After discussions with Microsoft (who weren't that much help and suggested I went to their Forum site to see if I could get help there!) In actual fact there was help there of all things - (I am hoping I'm allowed to post the link to the Microsoft Forum as it may be of help to others that come across this problem!) - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-fe44f3c4f2d3 (Mods please remove it if this ins't allowed).

This will tell you what to do to get to the answer - which I basically had done BUT - and it was a big but - I hadn't unticked one little box - I had put Acestry as a trusted site (ArthurK - I have a pretty good protection system, I have no tree on Ancestry so should be fairly safe) - I had entered the trusted site as https as that is what it said I had to do - but by unticking that box the item to be entered in the safe site changed and was merely *.ancestry.com !!!

I hope this makes sense to everybody - I am so excited - I closed everything down, started up again, went to Ancestry, pulled up a census - saved it and - YIPPEE - it was where I told it to go!!

Yes - I could have taken a print screen shot - I could have also used the very useful little Snip Tool but as far as I'm concerned if something works on one system there has to be an answer as to why it won't work on another - bit more of the detective work I suppose!

If this helps anyone else in the future I shall be thrilled - at the moment I feel ecstatic that I have made it work without going round the mulberry bush!

Mutley I know exactly how you feel - there is always something to learn on these things - and your Mouse's tail will just love Windows 7 as well!!!!!!

Thank you to everyone who has offered ideas and help - it is much appreciated and in true spirit of this Forum.

Marion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast