Thread: ca 1916 birth

Starting to feel at home

Default ca 1916 birth

Hi,
    Could anyone help me find a birth certificate for a Antony Audrey Standsfield-Hill believed to have been born in either NSW or Qld ca 1916. Interestingly the subject was female but with the Christian name Antony.
    Have agreat day,
    Ken Halliday

Hugh Thompson

HI Ken, between 1880 and 1910 there was only this one birth entry in the NSW BDM's, 16691/1901. Roland R Stansfield-Hill, father's name Roland, mother's name Alice M at St Leonards NSW. NSW births only go up to 1910 at present, it might be worth having a look through the National Library's Trove newspaper site, I find it quite helpful for family notices.(see address below)
    Hugh.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/

Coromandel

Hi Ken

I couldn't find the birth either, but have turned up some later bits and pieces. Here they are, in case you don't already have them:

Various newspapers on Trove report the marriage at sea of Miss Anthony Audrey Stansfield Hill and Lieut.-Engineer William John Kingsford Shaxby R.N. in 1936. They were apparently intending to marry in London, but Lieut. Shaxby could not get enough leave. The Sydney Morning Herald of 27 June 1936 described the bride as 'only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stansfield Hill of Manly' and says she 'was 20 years old on her marriage day'. The report even has a photograph (though very fuzzy) of the newly-weds.

Her husband was killed when HMS Daring was torpedoed in 1940. Here is his entry from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database.

This is her father's death announcement from the Sydney Morning Herald, 29 October 1947:
    'HILL, Charles Stansfield - October 27 1947, at Manly, Charles Stansfield Hill, of 14 Beach Street, Balgowlah, beloved husband of Ethel and loved father of Lloyd and Audrey (Mrs. Shaxby), aged 76 years.'

This may be the parents' marriage, from NSW BDMs:
    Charles S. Hill and Ethel B. Troy married in the St Leonard's district in 1913 (registration number 11132/1913).

Ozgenie

Hi Ken,

From the Fed Index Births to 1918 NSW -

HILL Audrey T
    Index year - 1916
    Father - Charles S
    Mother - Ethel B
    Place of Rego - Manly
    Rego year 1916
    Reg No. 25573

And also

HILL Lloyd S
    Same parents
    at Mosman
    No. 29208.

Regards
    Sue

Starting to feel at home

Morning Hugh,
    Many thanks especially the Trove info which is being continually updated so I must go into there again. There are many surprises. Hope I can return the favour, have a great day,
    Ken Halliday

Starting to feel at home

Morning Coromandel,
    Thanks for the Trove information and the NSW BDM information. Trove is a wonderful source these days. Hope I may be able to return the favour sometime,
    Regards,
    Ken Halliday

Starting to feel at home

Morning Sue,
    This is just fabulous and precisely what I was looking for, do you think the Fed Index to 1918 may go online sometime. The hundred year difference in the NSW BDM online seems an extraordinarily long period. Trust I may be able to return the favour sometime,
    Have a great day,
    Ken Halliday

ennael

have you seen the digitised document on the Australian NAA site regarding Mrs SHaxbys' request to return to Australia?

Leanne