clarky53

Default Mary Annie Tannie b.1856

My ggrandmother was Mary Anne Tannie and was shown as 45 in the 1901 census and visiting in Manchester with her daughter Annie Johnson (nee Tannie). We were led to believe Annie was born in Donegal, Ireland but it says Manchester on the census as does the same for her mum. I've searched for her husband John Tannie and even asked a pal to check on his Irish search forum, again with no luck. I would be grateful for any leads.

Thank's Fred Clark.

RonOne

Hi Fred and welcome to the Brit-Gen forum

If this is the same Annie Tannie that married James Johnson, 09 Jun 1892 at St Philip, Manchester, then she states her father is George Tannie, a Cabinet Maker.

- Click here - for the parish register entry of this marriage.

Marriages Jun 1892
    JOHNSON James - Manchester 8d 419
    TANNIE Annie - Manchester 8d 419

clarky53

Default Annie Tannie

Hi RonOne.
    Here's the problem. The nearest I found was a John Tannie b 1860 in Morpeth, is this Yorkshire?. Marriage cert says its George, but on the death cert it says James. Mary died 30th Sept 1917 ans was registered n Oct 1917 by Annie. Saying that, John's parents are Peter and Ann from Tyrone and Queens, Ireland, in the one I found. Hope this helps and hope it's the one. If it is, what site n Ireland would I look for. If I could find Her wedding cert I'd know for sure because he would have had to sign it.

Regards,

Fred Clark

RonOne

Quote Originally Posted by clarky53 View Post
    The nearest I found was a John Tannie b 1860 in Morpeth, is this Yorkshire?
    I'm not sure if there is a Morpeth in Yorkshire there is a Morpeth in Northumberland.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky53 View Post
    Marriage cert says its George, but on the death cert it says James. Mary died 30th Sept 1917 ans was registered n Oct 1917 by Annie.
    It's possible that when registering her mother's death that Annie (obviously under stress) misunderstood/misheard the question and gave her own husband's name 'James' instead of her mother's husband's name 'George'

The surname Tannie only appears on three registrations on FreeBMD which were probably all registered by Annie Tannie. They are; Annie's son James Tannie's 1891 birth, Annie Tannie's 1892 marriage and her mother, Mary A Tannie's 1917 death registration.

Have you found the family in the 1911 census?

RonOne

Possible birth registration for Annie:

Births Dec 1873
    Tanney Annie - Manchester 8d 252

clarky53

Default Mary Annie Tannie b.1856

Hi.
    So James was born out of wedlock and is called James Tannie. I'll apply for her birth cert this week and follow it up. It must be a very unusual name for so few entries in the records.

Thank You and Regards,

Fred Clark.