Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default John Greenwood farm Bailiff

i am trying to find John greenwood born Norwell, Notts in 1814 on the 1841 census when he should be married to Ann. I have found them in 1851 at Barnby inthe Willows and 1861 and 1871 at Old Park, Ashby de la Zouch when he is working as a farm bailiff. I wonder if anyone can tell me from the census return who he was likely to have been working for? In 1881/91 and 01 the family are ag labs at Stapenhill as they have aged.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Mark View Post
    I have found them in 1851 at Barnby inthe Willows and 1861 and 1871 at Old Park, Ashby de la Zouch when he is working as a farm bailiff. I wonder if anyone can tell me from the census return who he was likely to have been working for?
    From the papers...

ASHBY-DE-LA-ZOUCH
    PETTY SESSIONS, Saturday, Feb 5. --- (Before G. Moore and H. E. Smith Esqrs.) -- John Greenwood charged James Cox, Joseph Bailey, and John Bingham, all of Ashby, with trespassing, on the 21st January, in search of conies, on land in the occupation of Alexander Haddon, Esq., Old Parks. -- Fined £2 each and costs, or one month's hard labour
    Leicester Chronicle and the Leicestershire Mercury, Saturday, February 12, 1870

I think you'll find that John Greenwood is living next door to Alexander Hadden in the 1871 census.
    1871: RG10; Piece: 3248; Folio: 73; Page: 7 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

And another...

ASHBY-DE-LA-ZOUCH
    Thomas Sandlant and Thomas Poyner, both of Ashby, were charged by John Greenwood, farm bailiff to A. Haddon Esq. with using dogs for the purpose of taking game, on land in the occupation of Thomas Cheatle, in the parish of Ashby, on the 25th ult. -- Being old offenders defendants were fined the full penalty of £5 each and costs, or in default two month's imprisonment.
    Leicester Chronicle and the Leicestershire Mercury, Saturday, October 08, 1870

this is great...proper family history.Any sign of them on the 1841 census, they may perhaps be in Lincolnshire and i wonder if their are any more entries in the Leicester chronicle/ How did you find these two wonderful pieces?

i wonder if their are any more entries in the Leicester chronicle/ How did you find these two wonderful pieces?
    The newspaper items were found by searching through the British Library's 19th Century British Newspapers collection, provided online by the Gale database. You could check with your local library to see if they have a subscription to this collection, (if not then consider joining a library that does.) Then using your library membership, you should be able to access the collection yourself online from your own home.

this is great...proper family history.Any sign of them on the 1841 census
    I couldn't obviously see your Greenwood family in the 1841 census. I think I came across a brief reference in the newspapers to a John Greenwood in Newark, but I wasn't sure if it was him. I'll go and have another look for the item.

Reputation beyond repute

See also the Return of Owners of Land, 1873 for LEI (available on Ancestry).

Hadden, Alex., Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Land 159A 1R 6P, Est. Rental value £164 11s

would be interested to hear the Newark reference as it may be from his time at Barnby in the willows

would be interested to hear the Newark reference as it may be from his time at Barnby in the willows
    This is the one I mentioned, but the date may be wrong for your John Greenwood if he was living at Ashby de la Zouch in the 1861 census.

COUNTY POLICE, NEWARK, NOVEMBER 25, 1863. -- (Before Mr. Burnell, Mr. Ridell, and other justices), ---

[...mentions various people and their offences and fines...]

-- Curtis Holt was convicted on the evidence of John Greenwood, of using snares for taking game at Holme, on the 2nd October, and was ordered to pay a fine of 6s, and costs, 14s. --

[...more people mentioned and their offences...]

Nottinghamshire Guardian, Friday November 27, 1863

seems too near to his old stomping ground of Newark, Bathley, Norwell etc not to be him, especially as he was a farm bailiff in both areas. His father Michael Greenwood i have found in 1841 at Newark aged 60 perhaps he was therefore visiting family in the area ?