Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Red face O'Neill's in Paisley, Scotland

Had so much help with the Martin's in my family Now, looking for some on the O'Neill's. I have traced back my family to about the 1790's with a Torrence O'Neill marrying an Agnes Peacock. They had a son Charles O'Neill born 1816 died 1868 and married Alice Reid b. 1823 d. 1891. Charles & Alice had Charles b 1846, Mary b 1855, and James b 1857.

Was wondering if I could go back further with Torrence and if he and Agnes had other children. Also trying to find Mar7 and James from Charles & Alice.

Charles b. 1846 married Mary McGhee b. 1844 and they had James b. 1870, Agnes b. 1874, Alice b. 1880, Susan b. 1886 and Charles b. 1863 who married Mary Fraser. Can track Charles, as he is my great-grandfather, but can't seem to find his brother and sisters families.

Charles and Mary had Mary, Alice, Agnes b. 1891, Charles b. 1888 who stayed in Scotland and had something to do with St. Mirins Church, Alexander b. 1897 who married Marion Hyndman though I can't track them any further and James O'Neill (my grandfather) who married Jane Ross b. 1894 and they came over to America around 1924.

Any feed back would be great...thanks!!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    Charles b. 1846 married Mary McGhee b. 1844 and they had James b. 1870, Agnes b. 1874, Alice b. 1880, Susan b. 1886 and Charles b. 1863 who married Mary Fraser. Can track Charles, as he is my great-grandfather, but can't seem to find his brother and sisters families.
    To start off, I take it this is Charles O'Neill with his wife Mary McGhee in the 1891 census.

1891: Parish: Paisley High Church; ED: 3; Page: 5 (care of the Scotland GRO)
    27 Storie St
    O'NEILL, Charles, 46, head, Grocer, Paisley
    O'NEILL, Mary McGhie, 48, wife, Grocer
    O'NEILL, James, 21, son
    O'NEILL, Agnes, 17, dau
    O'NEILL, Alice, 11, dau
    O'NEILL, Susan, 5, dau
    O'NEILL, Charles, 2, son
    All born Paisley, except wife Mary born Ireland

Can you confirm this is your family?

Famous for offering help & advice

Some additional information from Family Search

marriage of Tarrance O'Neill and Agnes Peacock - 17 Nov 1816, Renfrew (which is very close to Paisley)

Additional children of Charles O'Neill and Alice Reid -
    Tarrance b 25 Jan 1857 Abbey Paisley
    Catherine b13 mar 1862 Abbey Paisley

Additional children of Charles O'Neill and Mary Mc Ghee -
    Mary 21 Dec 1871 High Church Paisley
    William 14Nov 1867 High Church Paisley
    Charles has birthdate of 12 Dec 1865. Looking at the 1891 census details found by olliecat, if that is your family I am wondering about the Charles age 2.

If your family were the grocers mentioned, you may be interested in looking at the various trade directories for Paisley which have been scanned by the National Library of Scotland (post office directories) and are free to view online on their website.

Picking one at random I can see a Charles in 1894-95 shop 51 George St, house 27 Storie St. Is he yours?

Yes, the 1891 census is my family.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Additional children of Charles O'Neill and Alice Reid -
    Tarrance b 25 Jan 1857 Abbey Paisley
    Catherine b13 mar 1862 Abbey Paisley
    Fam search has a birth of Annie O'Neill 4 Feb 1881 Paisley, parents Terence O'Neill and Ellen Goodfellow. Possibly Terence is Tarrance b1857?

The 27 Storie Street are the O'Neill's of my family! Not sure about the Terence and Ellen Goodfellow...I'll have to do more research on that one. Where is the best place to search this information?

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    The 27 Storie Street are the O'Neill's of my family! Not sure about the Terence and Ellen Goodfellow...I'll have to do more research on that one. Where is the best place to search this information?
    Well you could test out any free sources you have access to, first such as fam search, Ancestry if you subscribe etc- looking for a Terence O'neil(l) to eliminate him. see if you can find him in any censuses or BMD lists.

Then if no joy look on the free index of births on ScotlandsPeople for a Terence, remembering the various spellings of O'Neill. I couldn't spot a Paisley birth which makes it possible (but not certain) that Terence is Tarrance.

To be sure you would then need to download the image from Scotlands People for Terence's marriage and this would give his parents' names. You need to register and buy a few credits - £7 for 30. This search will use up 6 of them. Good value if the right one but expensive if not!

Sorry I may have confused you! my mind is racing ahead from the birth of Annie to the marriage of her parents. - Give me a minute and I'll clarify!

Right - If you have been unable to eliminate Terence you would want the 1878 marriage of Terence O'Neill and Ellen Goodfellow, Abbey Paisley. This would give parents' names.
    Have a look on Family search first before buying from SP.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post

Right - If you have been unable to eliminate Terence you would want the 1878 marriage of Terence O'Neill and Ellen Goodfellow, Abbey Paisley. .
    In Statutory Registers - that is the official marriage certificate and will have parents' names(if known) .

This marriage is also to be found in SP in Catholic Marriages at Paisley, St Mirin's but name Helen not Ellen. I don't think it will have any further information though. I think this will be a scan of the church register.

Found the marriage certificate and it is Terence O'Neill married Ellen Goodfellow (spinster) September 3, 1878 and her parents are John Goodfellow and Anne Dempsey. He lived on New Sneddon and she "?" Square, Paisley. He a grocer and she a loom weaver. Thanks for the help. Now tracing them to see if they had kids...would love to find a long lost relative still living!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast