Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Emsworth Hampshire interested in names

Hi all

My husbands grandfather was born in Emsworth. I have traced the family back to 1798 so I would like to post our names interest on this board in the hopes that one of you may be related to him.

We would be pleased to hear from you and share our information.

Although our name is now spelt Dredge it is in fact Dridge. When granddad married in London 1913 it was spelt Dredge and he never changed it back. But he did always maintain the spelling was wrong. We have proved beyond doubt this is our family.

Dridge, Charles (granddad), parents Rosa Dridge & William Dridge (Cousins)
    Phillips, Avis, Harry & Frank (granddad half siblings)
    Taylor, (Isabella born in Reading father Abraham)
    Farndell
    Randall

Kennett
    Leggett

Uncle Ted has shown us where granddad lived and retold many stories which granddad had told him.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Irene

smf412

Default Re: Farndell

Hi Irene. I notice from your post you list the name Farndell amongst possibles related names to yours, my father is from Portsmouth but Farndell is a fairly common name in those parts. How does the name Farndell relate to Dridge? I doubt there is any connection but if I can help in any way.....

Susan

Default James Farndell

Hi Susan

Just found your message, the name Farndell relates to James Farndell who married Jane Dridge 1853 in Emsworth. She already had a son William Dridge (g grandfather) but not married. She was living with her brother in 1851 William was born just after the 1851 census. James and Jane went on to have further children but only girls, one married a Kennett another a Leggett but they stayed around the Emsworth area, but I am not sure who the other daughter married. I have an idea but haven't proved it yet.

I have no idea who William's father is it could be James as on his married James is a witness but not named as father.

Irene

avril rogers

Default Names

Hi Irene,
    looking at your name list I have a few of the names on my tree, including Dridge, Farndell and Kennett, all from the Emsworth area, where I am researching the Parham family.

Best wishes

Avril

Default Dridge Farndell and Kennett

Avril

I would be interested in your tree perhaps we can swap and see where they fit in.

Not only does one of Williams sisters marry a Kennett but his wife's mother remarried to a Kennet. Isabella Taylor married George Dridge who was Jane's brother (Jane being Williams mother). George died and Isabella remarried.

Isabella & George's eldest daugher Rose married William (1st Cousins) both being Dridge's. Then I have found another of Isabella & Georges sons Harry married Fanny Leggett, who is William's niece, for the life of me I have tried to work out the relation ship but I do end up laughing and give up. So is Fanny a Niece or sister in law.

In the last couple of Weeks I have also been able to find Isabella's parents.

Look forward to hearing from you

Irene

smf412

Hi Irene any idea of a birth date for your James Farndell? I am starting to think the Emsworth ones are descended from the same original George and Hannah in the early 1800s. I believe I have a James in there soemwhere I shall have to check.

avril rogers

Default Emsworth Names

Hi Irene,
    sorry for the delay in replying to you.
    I have Elizabeth Dridge born 1864 and married Edmund Stevens in 1883.
    I have Joan Kennett born about 1730 who married Robert Savage in 1752 that was in Sussex. Although the Savage family did move to Emsworth.
    I also have Ellen Farndell 1833- 1888 who married David Stevens. It was Ellen and Davids daughter Ellen that married George Parham.

Avril

tara alison plillips

Default florrie farndell

hi , my great grand mother was florence farndell , her married name was daughtrey , they lived in victoria terrace lumley. she worked at lumley mill as a domestic servent , and was the local soothsayer!
    i also know mrs rose Parham who still lives in emsworth

Default Emsworth families

Hi sorry for the delay went on Holiday to Medaira had a lovely time and brought back the Sunny weather but now

SMF412
    James Farndell was born about 1830 I have James on census 1861 - 1891

Avril

Yes I have Elizabeth 1864 daughter of Edward and Jane Wells possibly born in Westbourne. Edward is the brother of Jane Dridge who married James Farndell, and Mike's gg grandmother. Jane is living with her brother Edward in 1851 when she was expecting her son William g grandfather. The parents of Edward is Edward 1798 and Martha Randall. I have the details if you would like more.

The message from Tara is more for you Avril than me.

Irene

mfisher

Default Kate Elizabeth Dredge information

Hello Irene, I have just found your site Re: Dredge family, My Great Grandmother
    was Kate Elizabeth DREDGE born in 1859 at Emsworth, her father was
    George DREDGE and her mother was Isabella TAYLOR. Kate married C.H.
    WOOD on the 17th January 1881 at Portsea Island Register Office and the
    witness for their marriage was E.KENNETT and Charlotte TAYLOR.

Marline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast