Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    birdlip

I found a marriage for William and Susannah in Frindsbury in 1822, and she's not a HUTCHINSON unfortunately; her surname is COLLINS.

I did find this though...

Susanna HUTCHINSON m Peter GIBSON 10 Jun 1810 St Leonards, Shoreditch....curious?

birdlip

There were jewellers by the name of GIBSON operating in the Shoreditch area back then. Insurance notices from The National Archives re:

15 Sep 1807 Richard GIBSON 7 Windsor Place, City rd, Jeweller.

17 Nov 1836 and 28 Dec 1837 Charles GIBSON 71 Bishopsgate St within, Silversmith and Jeweller.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi,
    The family were supposed to have come to Australia in 1840 but i still had some 1841 census checked as i worked with the 1840 arrival date as approx as they havent been found on a passenger list to confirm that year. I will have to check my papers but im sure the one you posted is one that was checked. Thank you for you help.

A fountain of knowledge

Yes i have seen that Susannah and Peter marriage and sat and looked at it for ages and wondered about it. It is curious as you said. George was born 1830 and if Susannah was 20 when married she would have been about 40 then so thats possible. The Peter? Could it be possible maybe. It is interesting.

A fountain of knowledge

Now this is interesting. The only Jewellers i have been able to find is the famous William Gibson in London so i like these ones LOL

I will have a dig around and see if i can find anything more on them, i think its definately worth checking out. I will post on here how i go with it. Thank you!

Sorry i just realised i didnt reply to your posts with "reply with quotes" so hope my replies havent confused you.
    I take my wally moments everywhere with me. LOL

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Shippo, you can get away without quotes, however if you mention the name of the person who posted the entry you are answering,..the mud clears. You can also mention the post number # 12 or whatever which shows in the top right corner. Your last post is #15.

Have you checked for any local hospital or other records which may be held by State Archives & which could give lots of clues?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Shippo, you can get away without quotes, however if you mention the name of the person who posted the entry you are answering,..the mud clears. You can also mention the post number # 12 or whatever which shows in the top right corner. Your last post is #15.

Have you checked for any local hospital or other records which may be held by State Archives & which could give lots of clues?

Hi
    I have checked with the QLD state archives and there is no medical/hospital records for George and for William there is one but there is no information just his name so nothing to indicate its my William. No one has anything on a Susannah. I have gotten George's land selection files and also his will and neither give anything up. The first i have of George is Drayton QLD in 1856 and there is a William Gibson buried in Drayton Toowoomba in 1920. The years are to far out to be William but i have been thinking of getting the death cert. on the off chance he may be brother to George maybe?? The Qld state library also sent me the QLD electoral roll for William Gibon's from 1870 - 1879 and there are 4 foolscap pages LOL I have sent more emails last night to different area and archives so hopefully one of them might come up with something this time.
    Thank you

Loves to help with queries

Shippo
    Where you have certificates you need to pass on every piece of information contained, including any cells left blank.
    Can you please give all the details on the marriage certificate of George Gibson and Eliza Downs, and the death certificate of George Gibson.

Do they both sign the record or are they illiterate?

Do you have an image of the original or a transcription?

Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate....might be relatives?
    What church/denomination are they married in?
    Is there an occupation for George. If he is also a jeweller it might suggest that father William was around long enough for George to be apprenticed. If George is unskilled then maybe father died early.

Where is George buried?
    Headstones with inscriptions are often put in place years after the death, when money allows, by which time family might have acquired more information about the dead person.

What is his occupation on the death certificate?

Birth certificates for children born NSW/QLD have provision for age of parents (would be good to see another, and earlier than 1892, reference for George's age), and place of birth. A certificate for one of the earlier children's births would be useful to you, and hopefully with George as informant.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Bess,
    I have checked out everything that i can think of from the information on the certificates but can still get no further. I will gladly post the cert. info on the off chance someone might see something that i may have missed. George is buried in Roma [qld] and about 2 years ago whilst on holidays i went to the cemetery there and there is no headstone.
    As George and Eliza were married in 1856 there marriage was registered in NSW but shortly after when QLD come into been, there marriage was transcribed to QLD records. I have obtained both marriage cert.
    The NSW one been a copy of the original it was hard to read George's place of birth but everything else was clear enough to read. The QLD one been transcribed it was typed and all the information on both cert. was the same and i could also read George's place of birth, which appears to have been spelt wrong so i then obtained their eldest childs birth cert. which gives George's place of birth more clearly.
    I am also wondering if William may have had a second marriage as the mother's name on the marriage cert. and the death cert. are different.

A fountain of knowledge

George's marriage cert.

When married - 30th August 1856
    Where married - School house Drayton Swamp
    Bridegroom - George Gibson
    Condition - bachelor
    Birthplace - Ebington Middlesex
    Occupation - builder
    Age - 26
    Usual place of residence - Drayton Swamp
    Father - William Gibson
    Mother - Susannah Gibson [Hutchinson]
    Father's occupation - Jeweller

Bride - Eliza Downs
    Condition - Spinster
    Birthplace - Glendalough Wicklow Ireland
    Age 18
    Usual place of residence - Drayton Swamp
    Father - William Downs
    Mother - Mary Downs [Edwards]
    Father's occupation - Labourer
    In the presence of - William Down
    - Ann Worel [x her mark]
    Church of England
    Minister - Ben jm Glennie

George's death cert.

Died and Where - 26th December 1892 Bungeworgorai Creek near Roma
    Name and Occupation - George Gibson - Farmer
    Age - Male 62 years 9 months 22 days
    Cause of death - 1. Cancer of the tongue 2, cancer of throat 3. Pycemia exaustion
    Duration of illness - 1 year
    Medical attendent - Guy S L'Estrange
    When last seen deceased - December 24th 1892
    Father's name and occupation - William Gibson - Jeweller
    Mother's name - Jane
    Informant - Elizabeth Gibson, wife. Bungeworgorai Creek near Roma
    Signature of Registrar and place of registration - Frederick Vaughan January 6th 1893 Roma
    Burial - 27 December 1892 Cemetery Roma
    Minister - F N Pickford Church of England
    Names of 2 witnesses - William Perrett and J Phillips
    Born and how long in Australian states - Essex England 52 years in Queensland
    Where married - Toowoomba Queensland
    At what age - 26 years
    To whom - Eliza Downs
    Children living - William H 35 years, George 30 years, Susanna 27 years, Richard 24 years, Benjamin 21 years, Mary Eiza 18 years, Philip James 15 years, Ellen Jane 10 years
    Deceased - Males 2 - Female nil

Birth cert. of eldest child of George and Eliza

Date and place of birth - 18 September 1857 Toowoomba
    Name and whether present or not - William Henry
    Sex - Male
    Father's name and occupation, age and birth place - George Gibson, builder, 27 years Abington England
    Date and place of marriage - 30 August 1856 Toowoomba
    Mother's name and maiden surname,age and birthplace - Eliza, formerly Downs, 19 years, Glendalough Wicklow
    Informant - Eliza Gibson, mother. Toowoomba
    Witness - 1. none. 2. Mary Downs. 3. Catherine Wright
    Particulars of registration - G H Loveday, 26th October 1857 Drayton
    Name if added after registration of birth - Baptism by the name of William Henry by the Rev Benjamin Glennie of Drayton. 1st Nov 1857

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast