Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Question for the day: I have confirmed various members of the family living on Mount Street in County Down, Ireland as in; 1901 – 40 Mount Street: James Martin with his wife Mary Barr and their children: Alexander, Martha, Susan, Ellen, Samuel, Robert & Thomas. In 1901 & 1911 – 42 Mount Street Samuel F. Martin and family and 1911: 21 Mount Street: Ellen Ann Martin (as well as other family members on that street).

Than I came across the following...in 1911 census I found 4 other families of Martin’s. You would think they would be related, but how?

6 Mount Street: Walter Martin age 22, wife Annie age 23, son Robert age 3, daughter Ethel age 2 and son Thomas baby.
    15 Mount Street: Thomas Scott Martin age 25, wife Mary age 25, son Robert James age 7.
    50 Mount Street: Mary Martin (widow) age 74 and daughter Mary Ann age 35
    25 Mount Street: Thomas Bryans age 50, wife Susan age 49, son Thomas David age 30, Daughter Isabella age 28, daughter Elizabeth age 16 and Grandaughter Willemina age 4

marador

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    Question for the day: I have confirmed various members of the family living on Mount Street in County Down, Ireland as in; 1901 – 40 Mount Street: James Martin with his wife Mary Barr and their children: Alexander, Martha, Susan, Ellen, Samuel, Robert & Thomas. In 1901 & 1911 – 42 Mount Street Samuel F. Martin and family and 1911: 21 Mount Street: Ellen Ann Martin (as well as other family members on that street).

Than I came across the following...in 1911 census I found 4 other families of Martin’s. You would think they would be related, but how?

6 Mount Street: Walter Martin age 22, wife Annie age 23, son Robert age 3, daughter Ethel age 2 and son Thomas baby.
    15 Mount Street: Thomas Scott Martin age 25, wife Mary age 25, son Robert James age 7.
    25 Mount Street: Thomas Bryans age 50, wife Susan age 49, son Thomas David age 30, Daughter Isabella age 28, daughter Elizabeth age 16 and Grandaughter Willemina age 4
    According to census returns in 1901
    40 Mount Street has James Martin and Mary Martin (formerly Barr) and son Thomas Scott aged 19.
    All their other children have left home with their various families.

47 Mount Street has only Agnes Sarah Martin (formerly Bell), son Thomas Neill (my Grandfather by marriage) and daughter Mary Martin aged 1. Her brother Thomas John Bell is helping out as a servant as her husband Robert James is in South Africa during the Boer War. (We got this information from Jason Campbell)

I think you will find Alexander and all his family are in Holytown Scotland for 1901 Census and in USA from 1907. they seemed to have left Dromore shortly after their wedding in 1882 as all their children are born in England or Scotland before emigrating to the USA
    In 1911 census Robert James Martin family is in 19 Mount Street with Robert back home, additional children and Mary Barr - now 76 and a widow as James died in 1910.

We would need to go back to other children from James and Mary (Barr) to try to identify other Mount Street residents.
    They may not all be related as there are a lot of Martins within a 10 mile radius of Dromore.
    I will look at other records but hope that my visit to Dromore Unitarian Church (First NS Presbyterian) will clear up most of the mystery of the earlier families
    Will post any further developments here also.

Trust this helps clarify situation a little more.

John Doran

marador

had a look at other addresses in Mount Street and comment as follows

6 Mount Street - Religion correct but can't link at present
    15 Mount Street - Could be Thomas Scott son of James Martin/Mary Barr age looks more like 28 on form which would be more correct fit. NOTE ages on census forms not always correct.
    50 Mount Street - wrong religion RC
    25 Mount Street - granddaughter only so hard to define.
    21 Mount Street - This could be Ellen Ann daughter of James Martin /Mary Barr whom we know married a William Steele.
    From their ages it looks unlikely they had any children.
    42 Mount Street - Not sure if this is Samuel Ferguson Martin who married Mary Ann Bingham. Could very well be but would need further evidence. religion down as Church of Ireland but that could be from her side and not really a problem.
    I would discount all others as links are very poor.

Will research further and hope for a clearer picture in the future.
    John

Hi John, its Allison from Ancestry...this is actually my link! I'll look through what you wrote and I see what I can find as well. Thanks again. Allison

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Iam researching Martins, Hamilton, Lunn, and Russells from the Dromore area of County down,

Robert james Martin and Catherine Martins family especially, raymondscountydownwebsite.info, (Russell and McClunes genealogy)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Dates, dates, dates.

It also helps us to help you (researching in Ireland is enough of a challenge in the first place!) if you tell us exactly what information you have already and where you found it (saves us wasting time duplicating your research) and exactly what you now want to find out.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by kelly6729 View Post
    Iam researching Martins, Hamilton, Lunn, and Russells from the Dromore area of County down,

Robert james Martin and Catherine Martins family especially, raymondscountydownwebsite.info, (Russell and McClunes genealogy)
    Silly me has only just noticed that this post has been posted in an existing thread.
    Is this because you connect to some of the families already mentioned? If so, then you need to say which ones.

Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Please excuse my memory, old age does not come easy, I sometimes get lost with all this genealogy forums,

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Silly me has only just noticed that this post has been posted in an existing thread.
    Is this because you connect to some of the families already mentioned? If so, then you need to say which ones.

Pam

If you can give me some more information I will look at what I have and help anyway I can. I do have a lot of Martins in my family and have gathered a lot of info on them.

Hope to hear back from you

Allison

If you can give me some more information I will look at what I have and help anyway I can. I do have a lot of Martins in my family and have gathered a lot of info on them.

Hope to hear back from you

Allison
    I presume you meant to quote post #35 by kelly6729, and not my post #37, as I have no connection to your family.
    If kelly still has the same email address then they will hopefully receive notification of your post in this thread. However, they have not visited the forum since August 2016.

Pam

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast