Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Yes thank you, I have now found that picture and added to the family tree. I have now found a death announcement in The Times newspaper of Monday 4th April 1864,

"died 31st march @ Albermarle Street, Piccadilly infant daughter of Morris Joseph Esqof 16 Welbeck Street, aged 15 days"

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    in both the 1851 census and 1861 census Julia La Mert is living in Albermarle Street, (Mayfair district 3) 1851 piece 1476/ folio 63/ page no. 33
    1861 class RG9/ piece 44 / folio 37 / page no. 5
    And looking back at post #31 I see that in 1861 there was a young visitor in the La Mert household . . .
    called Morris Joseph.

Starting to feel at home

So in summery;

1. Morris Joseph married Julia La Mert Q1 1863, with whom he had one child female that died aged 15 days on 31st March 1864 This wife died 24th March 1864.

2. Married 6th June 1865 to Emily Mary Merryweather, as a widower, using the name Hubert Jay Morice.
    They have 2 children Violet Lota Morice 1867- 1947 she became an actress and married the son of the owners of The Theatre Royal Brighton, Henry Nye Chart in Boston USA on 3 April 1892. They had 5 children.
    The second child was a son Gilbert Vivian Brian Morice born 1870, (Ican find no death record for this son). In 1901 he is living in London.

3. 1872 Emily Mary Merryweather obtains a divorce from Hubert Jay Morice.

4. 8th July 1878 another son is born this time to Emily Mary Fleming and Hubert Jay Morice, his name is Gerald Spencer Morice, he marries twice in South Africa and has several children including a daughter who is looking into her family tree in Tunbridge Wells. She advises me that her father died in South Africa in 1959 aged 81.
    The second child is Maude Rhoda Fleming/Didcott born 10 Feb 1880, who changed her name to Maudi Darrell and was an actress/performer she died 31 October 1910. Her parents are Emily Mary Fleming and Hugh Jay Didcott. Emily Mary Fleming may or maynot be Miss Rose Fox?

5. March 1888, Hubert Morice marries Elizabeth Browne Adlum in Manchester.

6. He dies in 1909 as Hugh Jay Didcott.

Does that cover it? Did have have any more children other than the 5 I have listed? Can I be any more confused by this man?

REP1829

Default Was Rose Fox Emily Fleming?

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    I have been following this thread with interest and would like to applaud coromandel for the information she has gathered

Perhaps by investigating the question "Who was Miss Rose Fox?" we might make some progress.

I found reference to Rose Fox aged 11 in a publication dated Nov 11 1866 after appearing at the Victoria Music Hall, Brierley Hill (from British Newspapers online -sorry, I forgot to make note of the publication - possibly the Era?) It says ....."Rose Fox, only eleven years of age, is really one of the more fascinating and pleasing serio- comics, singers and dancers it has been our lot to see" This gives a birth date of c. 1855/6
    Searching her name reveals she is the daughter of Harry Fox, comedian/singer and chairma of the Middlesex Music Hall aka the Mo. I looked on the 1871 census and found;
    Henry Fox aged 54 occ. Comedian born City of Westminster
    Mary Ann aged 45 wife born London
    Ellen daughter aged 15 (right age for 'Rose') born London
    Harriet daughter aged 12 born London
    They were living at Hunters Buildings, Lambeth.

There is a marriage for Henry Fox and Mary Ann Ealett at Westminster vol 1a pg 375.
    There is a birth for Ellen Fox Sep qtr Kensington 1a pg 32

I hope this small contribution helps answer the question posed by coromandel
    Sorry to be two years late on this thread, but I've only just discovered the connection.
    I believe Rose Fox was the stage name of Emily Fleming (born 1854 in Huddersfield). She was the daughter of Ellen Flemming and Frederick Fleming, and sibling of Charlotte and Susan Gray Flemming (born 1861). Susan Gray Flemming was always recorded as Lilly for unknown reasons.
    Lily Flemming married Thomas Poole (1854-1930) in 1881. Thomas Poole was an acrobat and clog dancer who for many years was part of "Poole, Zanlo and Poole" (with his brothers) and subsequently the "Poole Pelhams" (with his wife Lily and daughters).
    In the 1881 census, Ellen Flemming was shown living with her daughter Lilly and son-in-law Thomas Poole. Her birthplace was Huddersfield, and her age was 53.
    My rationale for identifying Emily Flemming as Rose Fox is as follows:
    In The Era of August 27, 1896 in an "In Memorial" which reads: "In loving memory of Rose Fox, who departed this life June 28th, 1889. Never forgotten by her loving mother and sister Lilly Poole Pelham."
    Further, in the September 13, 1890, Era, a Miss Lily Fox, "Serio-Comic and Champion skipping -Rope Dancer (Sister to the late Miss Rose Fox)." placed an advertisement. The address she gave was 142 Stamford-Street, Lambeth, which is the same address Thomas and Susan Poole had used March 9, 1890 when her daughter Emily Theresa Poole was baptised. She placed other ads, such as in the Era of November 22, 1890, in which she noted that Lily Fox was appearing with Pelhams.
    Finally, in the 1891 census, an "Ellen Fox" is shown as the housekeeper in the home of Hugh, J. Didcott, her son-in-law. Her birthplace is Hudderfield; however she seems to have aged only 7 years over the previous decade, for she is now reportedly only 60. I believe that in the intervening years she had simply moved from one daughter's house to another.
    While it is possible that Lily Poole simply claimed to be the sister of the famous Rose Fox, that seems unlikely, given that she placed an "In Memorium" advertisement seven years after her sister had died, and included her mother in it.
    If anyone reads this after so long, I would love to hear of it!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Maudi Darrell/Gilbert Morice

Hi there, I am new here, prompted to register after finding this site/forum by chance last night. If I'm correct, I do believe the Gilbert Morice mentioned in this thread is my grandfather. Unfortunately in terms of shedding much light for you, I know very little about my family (hence researching info online) but can add a little piece to the puzzle. My mother was born in Montreal, QC and from some other info I discovered yesterday, believe that her dad (Gilbert Morice) arrived there in 1910. I need to research this further, but for now, there's another little bit of information for anyone who's interested.
    I must say, my mum died in 1987 and as she never spoke of her family, I am very excited to discover this thread. Thanks to everyone who's posted...the thread kept getting more and more interesting and has really got me thinking :-)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Diamond - know that it is a few years down the line. I have already posted but cant find my posts on this subject so re registered. Your lady is in fact my aunt & the sister of my mother who passed away 4 and a half months ago! My grandfather was Gerald Spencer (Morice) Darrell!! Upon going through my mothers things, I found a lot of paperwork relating to her family including birth, marriage & death certificates, information on Maudi Darrell & adoption papers. My mother did also say that her father did not speak about his family much but did know that Maudi Darrell was his sister. I found this link to my astonishment while researching to locate my mothers identical twin sisters grave who died at the age of 5 months in 1933 - I have now managed to locate her grave at Mitchum Road cemetery who have kindly sent me a photo. My aunt, Mavis was born in South Africa but they moved back to the UK where my mother & her twin were born in Croydon which is where my mothers twin died. They returned again to South Africa shortly afterwards. To my knowledge, I know of all of the children who Gerald bore and have paperwork on them. From the information that I have it seems that my grandfathers first daughter who was born from his first marriage was the daughter who was in fact named after his sister Maudi Darrell as her maiden name was Maudi Rhoda Morice. My mothers family did not have much contact with this half sister for some unknown reason. Gerald's second marriage was to my grandmother born Vera Dulcie Turner (married 19/07/1927 in South Africa). I have their marriage certificate which states my grandfathers surname only as Darrell. They had a daughter (your lady, my aunt) before moving back to the UK. They then had identical twin girls - my mother Elna & Wendy Priscilla who died at 5 months. To my knowledge & from the paperwork these are the only children that Gerald Spencer Morice Darrell bore. My mother & her sisters surname on their UK birth certificates state their surnames as Morice Darrell.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Maudi Darrell/Gerald Spencer (Morice) Darrell

It was great to read your recent post. As in my previous post, I know little of my own family history, but think your grandfather might be my great uncle (or at least, half great-uncle) as my grandfather was Gilbert Morice. You'll know yourself that this family history is rather complicated and covers a few continents, but I just thought I'd acknowledge your post given it's been a while since there was any activity on this thread. Will post again myself once I've had a chance to revisit my info if I discover anything further to add, or can join any more dots!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Well hello there VanCan haha! So glad to receive a response as I know it is has been quite a few years. I am fascinated by all of the information on this forum wow!!!! I had no idea that our mutual great grandfather was such a multi facated & confusing man!! I can't find anything on a Gilbert amongst my mothers papers unfortunately. There is just one unknown name that I am now trying to tie in and that is a man by the name of Ernst Spencer Morice Darrell. I have no idea who this is and would love to find out. He is listed as the purchaser of the grave where my mothers twin sister is buried in Croydon, UK. LOVING ALL OF THIS INFORMATION TYING INTO BITS AND PIECES OF KNOWLEDGE THAT MY MOTHER HAD!!!!

REP1829

Lindyfj and VanCan: Delighted that you two have made contact. My connection is more distant - My great uncle, Thomas Poole, was married to the sister of Maudie Darrell's mother - the performer who used the stage name Rose Fox. Thomas Poole was part of a larger family of music hall performers, including his brothers, his children, and some of his nieces and nephews.

Hugh Didcott/Morice is a fascinating character. I have amassed a collection of contemporary newspaper articles which include information about his various bankruptcies, as well as Maudie Darrell's wedding. They make fascinating reading, and I would be pleased to provide them to family.

By the way, I too have had posts disappear from this thread, so I decided to reiterate this offer. Please let me know.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Rep1829. What a hoot. My great-grandmother was the Merryweather side. Keeping track of who's who is indeed quite tricky. I have traced the family back quite some way on the Morice side but haven't looked at the material for a while. Will dust it off and see if I have anything to add. Hugh Didcott/Morice is indeed a fascinating character (unless he changed it by deedpoll, Hugh Didcott was definitely a pseudonym, but it sounds like you've oodles of info so you probably know that). I look forward to comparing notes!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast