Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Girton/Checkley's

Helllllllp.....Lookup or help wanted with baptism of Katherine/Catherine Checkley around early 1800's in Girton. On marriage cert to William Foulds (1839) her age is given as 'of full age', her father given as Jonathon Checkley (Labourer). Witnesses Jas Baines & John Marshall.
    On IGI there is no K/Catherine that fits apart from one bap. 14 May 1807 in Harmston, Lincs. F John Checkley M Jane. Any help or ideas much appreciated.

Loves to help with queries Nightryder's Avatar

Ancestry have a marriage of a Catherine Checkley of Besthorpe to a Thomas Johnstone in South Scarle 12th Feb 1818, So maybe William was her 2nd husband.

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Nightryder View Post
    Ancestry have a marriage of a Catherine Checkley of Besthorpe to a Thomas Johnstone in South Scarle 12th Feb 1818, So maybe William was her 2nd husband.
    Hmm..but then wouldn't she have used JOHNSTONE as her surname when she remarried?

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Helllllllp.....Lookup or help wanted with baptism of Katherine/Catherine Checkley around early 1800's in Girton. On marriage cert to William Foulds (1839) her age is given as 'of full age', her father given as Jonathon Checkley (Labourer). Witnesses Jas Baines & John Marshall.
    On IGI there is no K/Catherine that fits apart from one bap. 14 May 1807 in Harmston, Lincs. F John Checkley M Jane. Any help or ideas much appreciated.
    As the crow flies Harmston, Lincs looks to be about five or six miles from Girton, Nottinghamshire, and the date fits. I would think the baptism you found is a distinct possibility.

Loves to help with queries Nightryder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    Hmm..but then wouldn't she have used JOHNSTONE as her surname when she remarried?
    Not if she was still married to Thomas Johnson when she married William Foulds, Just an idea as you are having trouble pinning down a definate Birth/Baptism.

Thanks for your replies. I don't think the Johnstone marriage is her....on the cert I have she is a Spinster. Does anyone know if the Girton Parish registers are online anywhere else besides Familysearch? Thanks

janbooth

These marriages (from Notts FHS Marriage Index) may help:

3 January 1797 at Girton John CHECKLEY & Jane SHEPHERD
    18 April 1797 at North Clifton John CHECKLEY & Sarah WRIGHT
    26 December 1808 at North Clifton Jonathan CHECKLEY & Mary BAINS

Given the witness on Katherine's marriage certificate, I would guess at the latter marriage as being her parents?? North Clifton is very close to Girton.

There are a lot of baptisms to Jonathan & Mary on Hugh Wallis's IGI Index of Girton but not one for Katherine but there are no baptisms for 1808-1813. Another alternative is that Katherine could have been baptised in her mother's parish of North Clifton especially if she was their first child.

Janet

Thanks Janet. Interesting that 1808-1813 is missing from IGI info. I didn't think that someone married in 1808 would not have any children for five years, it just didn't happen that way. From the census info I have Katherine would have been born around 1818, but I've found ages are sometimes a bit sketchy so she may fall into the missing bit.

Pat

David Ingleby

Pat: I have only just joined this forum and have therefore only just come across your post (and the replies), and with such a time lag you may have sorted out the query already. However ........

Your Catherine (the wife of William Foulds) was born in Girton, Notts c1818, the 7th of 16 identified children born to Jonathan Checkley and his wife Mary (nee Baines). She is the only one of the 16 who's baptism has not yet been found, the details of her parentage coming as you know fromn her marriage certificate. Catherine is my wife's first cousin x4 removed.

The other Catherine Checkley's found in the Girton registers are related, and yes, one does marry Thomas Johnson, but she is the daughter of William Checkley & Mary (Cheesewright). These two Catherine's are half first cousins (their grandfather married twice).

My wife and I have done a lot of research on the Girton Checkley's and have traced the line back to Catherine's 2x Great Grandfather William Checkley who died in Girton in 1732.

Are you the Pat Fowles who married John Harold Fowles in 1973?? If so, your husband is my wife Elaine's 5th cousin!

Kind Regards

David Ingleby

Hi David....'Yes', I am the Pat Fowles married to John in 1973. I have a lot of the Checkley info but still not Katherines baptism record. It's a bit odd that she is missing from records.

Regards
    Pat