dcmbarton

Default Deciphering RAF record

I am trying to make a bit more sense of my grandfather’s RAF records and wonder if any ‘experts’ could help with a bit of deciphering!

He enlisted on the 9/8/1945. Most seems pretty obvious, but there are a few things which I’m not sure on:

1. At the top, it says MED.ORD/N.ORD., the former being crossed out. I wonder if this is Medical Ordinance and Normal Ordinance?

2. His civil occupation is given as an apprentice motor mechanic, but the employer reads ‘Ind.D.A.056.21.Dis.212.’

3. In the religion box, it reads CE (presumably Church of England), but in pen has been written ‘65/95/45’ and I wonder if there is any significance to this?

4. In the miscellaneous section, it reads ‘Med.Cat.Grade 1’ – presumably Medical Category Grade 1? Any idea about the different grades?

5. Underneath that it reads ‘F.167 14/8/45 Expressed desire for Med.Ord/N.Ord. Suitable for training as such. Waiver action required’ – I wonder what is meant by ‘waiver action requited’?

6. Written in a bit further down is ‘19/46 Prog Pay Wef 13.2.46’ – any ideas?

7. There are some other markings in pencil like ‘RC.15 Bin.1 N.S.’ and G3X 4.10.46’ but these are probably something to do with the archives?

There may of course be a very useful book or website which will answer these questions, so feel free to point me there! I haven’t got onto the 2nd page yet!

David

There are loads of answers for the different parts of the service records if you google the part concerned with RAF at the beginning.

Being ex RAF, you would have thought I would have known the answer, but my service was rather recent.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by dcmbarton View Post
    At the top, it says MED.ORD/N.ORD., the former being crossed out. I wonder if this is Medical Ordinance and Normal Ordinance?
    According to an RAF glossary at
    https://
    users.cyberone.com.au/clardo/glossary.html

N/Ord means Nursing Orderly.

The glossary doesn't include Med. Ord. but does mention Medical Orderlies.