Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

I can see the 1862 marriage in Clondahorky Donegal between James and Frances Ann. Parents Richard Moor and Charles Stewart.

I can also see a number of children to this couple including a Charles in 1867 (all from family Search)

Narelle

Hell Obbie,
    I think the Charles death in Letterkenny is the correct one and will check with the church first before buying any cert Thanks for the Donegal site. I did write you a long reply a few days ago but the computer lost it before posting. I did find some information from this site and found it very useful. I will have to look back on my records to find out just what I did find.

The info on Charles parents being Frances Ann Stewart and James Moore comes from information the family knows is correct. The story goes that their grandmother Frances Anne MOORE born 1904 was named after her grandmother of the same name. I found James and Frances Ann Moore in the LDS records plus their son Charles born in 1867 (the date given by the family) and about 6 other siblings. I will be working on the tree again later this afternoon so will let you know where I am up to then.
    Kind regards Narelle

Hi Narelle

There seem to be two (or more) Charles Moores around. One b 1867 son of James Moore and Frances Ann Stewart in Dunfanaghy, the other b 1871 son of John Moore and Isabella Elliot in Gartan.

As you are sure that your Charles is son of James and Frances, how sure are you that he is the Charles who married Margaret Robinson and was in Gartan in 1901 census?

The 1898 wedding cert for Charles and Margaret should give father's name.

The 1907 death may - or may not - state husband of Margaret and match the 1901 census information, but unless you know that it was your Charles who married Margaret it will not prove anything. Does that make sense?

Doyou have other information which would help - Charles' siblings names perhaps.

There is another Charles Moore of the right age in Dunfanaghy in 1901 but sadly he is son of George and Mary!

If you are doing a long reply it is better to copy and paste it in - really frustrating when you lose it but we've all done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Narelle View Post
    The info on Charles parents being Frances Ann Stewart and James Moore comes from information the family knows is correct. The story goes that their grandmother Frances Anne MOORE born 1904 was named after her grandmother of the same name. I found James and Frances Ann Moore in the LDS records plus their son Charles born in 1867 (the date given by the family) and about 6 other siblings.
    Is the Frances Ann J Moore on the 1911 census with mother Margaret (post no 1) the Frances Ann, granddaughter of Frances Ann Stewart Moore? If so this puts your Charles and family in the Gartan area in 1901 and 1911, making the 1907 death more likely.

I would still be interested in checking Margaret and Charles wedding cert tho.

Would also be interested to find out what happened to the other Charles s/o John and Isabella...

obbie

this is why you need to work back one cert at a time .
    but as the info given on site that records there marriage says that charles father is john not james ?
    you need to buy the cert to be sure your not chaseing down the wrong family , family make assumptions that turn into fact .
    a birth marriage or death cert is the only way to go .
    Marriage Records for Co. Donegal
    Surname : moore
    First Name : charles
    Spouse's Surname : robinson
    Spouse's First Name : margaret
    Father's Surname: moore
    Father's First Name : john

Narelle

Thanks Obbie and Grisel, You have both been really helpful. I agree I need to purchase the marriage cert of Charles Moore and Margaret Robinson and Charles birth cert. Where do I purchase them from? I have contacted the church at Gartan and am waiting for a reply. Kindest regards Narelle

See Obbie's post no 3 about ordering photocopy from Roscommon or downloading from Roots Ireland the marriage cert for Charles and Margaret. This seems a definite as margaret is mother of Frances Ann b1904, your known relative.

Wait till you have seen this before you order anything else. Look at parents, witmessses, addresses, occupations (if given)

At the moment it is looking to me very likely that Charles is son of John rather than James.... but let us know how you get on.

obbie

id have to agree with grisel it looks to me as if charles father is john not james .
    you can get a lot of info for free from the roots ireland site by inputing your guesses into the advanced box .
    buy one cert at a time make sure your following the correct paper trail .
    let us know how you get on ,
    the same family name with same first names in the same area id say there gonna be all related to you anyhow youll have kin climbing out of the woodwork !
    goodluck

Narelle

Hi Obbie,
    I would be very happy if they started jumping out of the woodwork. I must say this is the most success I have had with any Irish research.

I did purchase the birth marriage and death transcriptions for Charles and they were very thin on the ground for information. The death told me no more than I had gleaned from the free search. The marriage gave Charles fa. name as John (a farmer) and Margaret's fa. name as John too (a railway officer). The witnesses were Moses Neely and Mary Moore. The birth transcription gave Charles fa. as James and his mo. as Frances Stewart. It also confirmed one of two birth dates that we had for Charles although this could still be the wrong one if his father was really John and not James. So there is really nothing new to go by so a little disappointing.

If I request the certificates from Roscommon will there be more information or just the same as I now already have?
    Kindest regards
    Narelle

obbie

hi
    id order the certs from roscommon as they only cost 4 euros if you have the event year area and volume and page no,s .
    the death cert will tell how he died where and the informant .
    birth marriage certs will give some more info address occupation witnesses etc etc .
    so do we now think your charles fathers first name was john ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast