Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi not sure my previous post went through. Kerrywood, I managed to find a document relating to the medals. It relates to Charles J Ballard A.S.C. Corps, Rank is Private and Service number is 351514. It notes a Victory Medal RASC/101B244 AND pAGE 25146. It also refers to a British Medal ditto. I looked at the Long Long Trail Website and noticed information about the 14th (Light) Division. I am wondering if this is what I recall from a child. Can you help me resolve the unanswered questions from this information? I am confused as to why my grandfather would have more than one service number? Please could you also let me know what you mean by I could contact the Teignmouth local studies library. Who would that be? Thanks

I'm afraid that Kerrywood hasn't been here since 2013. If they still have the email address that they registered with, they should get a message to say that someone has replied to this thread, and may be encouraged to return.

If your grandfather had more than service number, he could have changed regiments - this happened regularly to make up numbers in different areas.
    I see that 351514 Pte Charles J Ballard of the ASC had the Victory and the British medals. This indicates that he reached the Front after the end of 1915. There's only one number on the medal card that I'm looking at - what is the other one, and where did you find it?
    There are 42 Charles Ballards on the index, of whom 3 are Charles J. All 3 have the same medals - the other 2 are 30844 Pte CJB of the Lancashire Fusiliers and SD/1001 Pte CJB of the Royal Sussex Regt. I can't find surviving service records for any of them.

Checking the CWGC site HERE, I see that 30844 did not survive - he was Charles James, son of Charles James and Emily B of Rotherhithe.
    SD/1001 also did not survive - He was Charles James, son of Caroline and the late Charles Ballard.

351514 presumably survived, he's not listed. Does second number that you have correspond with either of the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I'm afraid that Kerrywood hasn't been here since 2013. If they still have the email address that they registered with, they should get a message to say that someone has replied to this thread, and may be encouraged to return.

If your grandfather had more than service number, he could have changed regiments - this happened regularly to make up numbers in different areas.
    I see that 351514 Pte Charles J Ballard of the ASC had the Victory and the British medals. This indicates that he reached the Front after the end of 1915. There's only one number on the medal card that I'm looking at - what is the other one, and where did you find it?
    There are 42 Charles Ballards on the index, of whom 3 are Charles J. All 3 have the same medals - the other 2 are 30844 Pte CJB of the Lancashire Fusiliers and SD/1001 Pte CJB of the Royal Sussex Regt. I can't find surviving service records for any of them.

Checking the CWGC site HERE, I see that 30844 did not survive - he was Charles James, son of Charles James and Emily B of Rotherhithe.
    SD/1001 also did not survive - He was Charles James, son of Caroline and the late Charles Ballard.

351514 presumably survived, he's not listed. Does second number that you have correspond with either of the others?
    Thank you Lesley. The copy I have relates to 30844 and only has one number on the medal card under Victory. On the line below under British it just has "ditto" on it. He did survive but was injured and discharged. Not sure if you can see the whole thread but my very first post gave his other service number which I got years back from a researcher. Thanks for your help.

In your message #21 above, you give your guy's number as 351514.

The Commonwealth War Graves People say that 30844 is buried at Uplands Cemetery, Magny-la-Fosse in France.
    Have a look at the record - it's HERE.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123