Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BeeE586

Default Death check please

I would be very grateful if anyone with a subscription to Scotland's People could check a death for me please.

I have found on the index a death for Benjamin Clarke between 1931 and 1933. I am hoping he is a soldier in the KOSB serving at Fort George as this would fit with known information.

If anyone can confirm this - thank you. I have pursued this enquiry through KOSB website and other enquiries are ongoing.

I would be pleased also if anyone can tell me how to obtain details of Scottish inquests of around that time or if newspapers are available.

Eileen

This is my first venture into Scottish Genealogy and I am a bit lost.
    Last edited by BeeE586; 03-05-2011 at 1:02 PM. Reason: Addition

Sadly there is no such thing as a subscription to Scotlandspeople - you just have to buy credits (mimimum £7 for 30)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm afraid Scotlands people is entirely pay to view so to see records you have to register and buy a few credits.
    However it is possible to play around with the free index and doing this the Benjamin Clarke who died in 1933 was age 72, b 1861 and died in Dennistoun, Glasgow City.
    Hope this helps.

BeeE586

I admitted to being a bit lost in Scottish Genealogy !! I saw that credits were available but didn't want to spend £7 for just one enquiry.

Thank you for your replies - both help. The man I was looking for was a serving soldier aged about 20 and born in Sheffield. I shall continue my search through the Military sites

Eileen

But there is a Benjamin Clark (no e) age 18 died 1931 in Inverness, Invernesshire who could be a possible.

Plus another 18 year old with same spelling who died in Ayrshire also in 1931.

JenniLl

Fort George is just outside Inverness, so the Benjamin Clark sounds like a hit.

BeeE586

To both grisel and JenniU - my thanks.

I am working on behalf of a neighbour who has only the sketchiest information on the lines of 'Somebody said' or 'Somebody thought' - not the best foundation for research - and I was originally given the wrong birthdate which didn't help.

He was born in 1913 (not 1916 as I was originally told) so the death of an 18 year old in 1931 in Inverness could very well be what I am seeking.
    Benjamin was in the KOSB and that regiment was at Fort George from 1930 to 1934 as I have discovered from the regimental website. He did not die immediately but a day or so later and his parents did travel to Inverness to see him - so much is known. There is some dispute in the family about the circumstances of his death - accident or suicide.

I shall continue to investigate.

Eileen

HI Eileen

Have tried to send a PM about the RCE but my inbox is full .

Haven't a clue how to empty some but not all of it in order to send or receive. Maybe a kind moderator will advise....

However the RCE will not be of much help. Elaborates on cause of death but does not say how the wound was caused.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Have tried to send a PM about the RCE but my inbox is full .

Haven't a clue how to empty some but not all of it in order to send or receive. Maybe a kind moderator will advise....
    Bring up the list of PMs in your Inbox. On the right hand side of each one you will see a box. Tick those you wish to remove and the whole line should turn yellow. Then scroll down to Selected Messages, which should have the number of PMs you have earmarked in brackets. Click this, then highlight delete, then click Proceed
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Many thanks Sue! So easy when you know how....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast