Thread: Mary Richardson

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Mary Richardson

Revisiting my GG Grandmother, put her in the "hard" basket a while back.
    I have the info post her marriage to my GG Grandfather in 1856

Marriage Certificate married Parish Church Astbury 25 Nov 1856
    Thomas Lowe-batchelor-30-labourer-residence Brerton - father Richard-Tailor
    Mary Richardson-19-spinster-father John - residence Astbury- father John - labourer.

Mary birth c 1837 census records show birth Nantwich

Started at 1841 census..HO107 Pce 105 Fol 9 Pg 13
    closest I can see is a Mary Richardson aged 5 Prestbury-Rainow..original says Kettleshulme.

This is a strange entry if you check the original you will see a Elizabeth Richardson 65, Hannah 40, Job 15 and Jane 11, just below this entry is a Thomas Wood 70 and a Mary Richardson 5.
    THomas and Mary are not grouped with the others. Job at least is Hannahs son ( found baptism for him with mother Hannah- Taxal Cheshire 1827) so assume Jane is prob also a child of Hannah.
    Elizabeth and Hannah and Job are still together in Kettlshulme in 1851 and Hannah and Job in 1871.
    Jane is not with them probably married between 41 and 51, but no Mary with them either.
    Checked Cheshire Prish clerks and found no obvious baptism for Mary
    Maybe some member may have baptisms for Namtwich?

Would appreciate someone having a look at Mary for me.

thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

First thought - maybe Thomas is her maternal grandfather. Secondly, the census only tells you where she was on census night, maybe she does belong next door? Interestingly, there is a Mary Richardson baptism in 1835 in Taxal Cheshire, although to a William and Martha.

Quote Originally Posted by carolchipp View Post
    Interestingly, there is a Mary Richardson baptism in 1835 in Taxal Cheshire, although to a William and Martha.
    This Mary is with her parents on the 1851 (born Kettleshulme)

Curiously in 1841, this couple (William and Martha Richardson) have no child living with them but do have a 65 year old Martha WOOD living with them

If you are looking at the family in 1851 living in Derbyshire I had looked before but in 1851 her father is William-Victuallar and 1861 he is still a publican and 1841 was a coal miner....that is just so far from what is noted on her marriage cert in 1856 father John-labourer.

Curiously in 1841, this couple (William and Martha Richardson) have no child living with them but do have a 65 year old Martha WOOD living with them
    There is a marriage for a Thomas Wood to a Martha Wood 1799 St Marys Stockport

Martha is on the 1851 census listed as gamekeepers widow still living with son James coalminer
    Thomas Wood was noted on 1841 census as mole catcher that wouldn't come under a gamekeeper as far as I know?

Hi carol; Many thanks for your research, but maybe it in one way may discount the Mary I was looking at as being my Mary, maybe she is the daugher of William and Martha and I may have to look for another Mary Richardson.

I have sent an email off to the Cheshire Archives and local studies with all the info I have so fingers crossed.

There aren't too many Mary Richardsons born in Cheshire around that time. Here's one suggestion - it's time consuming but could help narrow her down in census returns before her marriage. (I used it with one of mine and it worked).
    You know her stated age upon marriage and the date of her marriage. IF this age is correct, you can compare it with her age for other census returns and get an idea of her birth date (eg between X month and Y month)using the census dates . If nothing else it might allow you to definitely cancel out any other Mary Richardson who couldn't possibly be the age stated on a census return and be 19 in November 1856.