Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Christian Elizabeth Campbell born Jamaica

Hello,
    Looking to find Christian Elizabeth Campbell born about 1815 in Jamaica. I am not sure when she left there but but married and having children in England and Scotland by 1840-1841.
    She married George Taylor born 1804 Marykirk Scotland. The Name Taylor is also spelled Tailyour. The Taylor family very prominent in Jamaica with plantations---John and Simon Taylor.
    I have not been able to find out when she came to England or how she met George and where they married. Or if he came to Jamaica, met her there.
    Any help greatly appreciated

Elaine

Brick wall demolition expert!

Is this Christian, George and their children in Edinburgh in the 1851 census?

1851: Parish: Edinburgh St Mary; ED: 11; Page: 20; Line: 18;

Then in Cheltenham in 1861...

1861: RG9; Piece: 1802; Folio: 19; Page: 32 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Do you have them in the 1841 census?

terrysfamily

Hi
    odd Question, I know, but do you have their childrens names?

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    odd Question, I know, but do you have their childrens names?
    I think this is likely to be the family...

1851: Parish: Edinburgh St Mary; ED: 11; Page: 18 (care of the GRO for Scotland)
    27 Drummond Place
    George Taylor 47, Lines On Interest Of His Money Ineceton In The Paritish Stocks In Indies, born Marykirk, Kincardinesh
    Christina Taylor 38, born Jamaica
    Eleanor Taylor 9, born England
    Simon Taylor 7, born England
    George Taylor 6, born England
    William Taylor 7 mo, Edinr, Midlothian

Note: in the 1861 census, daughters Eleanor's birth place is recorded as Southampton.

Have you spotted those children christening in Hampshire on family search.
    Last edited by olliecat; 25-04-2011 at 9:01 PM. Reason: added note

Quote Originally Posted by pepperpot View Post
    I have not been able to find out when she came to England or how she met George and where they married.
    Since the family appear to have moved about a bit and were in Cheltenham by 1861, I do wonder about this marriage...

Marriages Mar 1841 Cheltenham 11 195
    Craig Jane
    Fry Ann
    GARDNER Rickard
    GIBBS Martha Elizabeth
    JOLP Christian Elizabeth Campbell
    Simms William
    Taylor George
    Woodfield Joseph

From the Gloucestershire BMD, out of those listed above, George Taylor married Christian JOPP (sic). Perhaps this was a second marriage for Christian.

terrysfamily

Well done olliecat

If you take into account the 1851 census post #4 and the names of the children and then put it together with the Marriage in post #5 that olliecat found in . Now if you add in the 1861 Census, still Living in Cheltenham, where it says Stewart was actually born c1851, censuses are always +/- a year. Then these must be the registers of their children.

Look at the mothers name on William Stewart Taylor and you will see that it says Christian Elizabeth Campbell Jopp.

So it looks like the marriage that olliecat found is yours.

Eleanor Jane Taylor Female
    Baptism/Christening Date: 13 Apr 1842 Southampton, Hampshire, England
    Father George Taylor Mother Christian Elizabeth Campbell
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03379-1 Source Film Number: 1596324 Reference Number: p 168 Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

George Robert Taylor Male
    Baptism/Christening Date: 03 Feb 1845 Holy Trinity, Fareham, Hampshire, England
    Father George Taylor Mother Christine Elizabeth Campbell
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I04111-1 Source Film Number: 1596131 Reference Number: item 2 p 54 rn 435 Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Births Mar 1846 Taylor Keith Fareham 784

Keith Taylor Male Male
    Baptism/Christening Date: 23 Feb 1846 Holy Trinity, Fareham, Hampshire, England
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I04111-1 Source Film Number: 1596131 Reference Number: item 2 p 60 rn 486 Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Deaths Jun 1846 Taylor Keith Fareham 756

William Stewart Taylor Male
    Birth Date: 09 Aug 1850 Edinburgh, Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
    Father George Taylor Mother Christian Elizabeth Campbell Jopp
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11984-2 Source Film Number: 1066693 Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Alexander Taylor Male
    Baptism/Christening Date: 10 Dec 1851Edinburgh, Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11984-2 Source Film Number: 1066693 Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Christian Mary Keith Taylor Female
    Birth Date: 07 Sep 1853 Kettins, Angus, Scotlland
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11294-4 Source Film Number: 993439 Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post

William Stewart Taylor Male
    Birth Date: 09 Aug 1850 Edinburgh, Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
    Father George Taylor Mother Christian Elizabeth Campbell Jopp
    Well done to you Terry for spotting this one. Good find!
    Now I'm wondering if Jopp is her maiden name rather than Campbell. I guess the marriage certificate would clarify that and/or one of the children's birth certificates.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you all for the great info. I had not seen that Christina's maiden name was Jopp. Seeing the marriage to George in Cheltenham certainly looks like the right one and I shall go ahead and order the marriage certificate. Finding them in Cheltenham fits----the family seems to end up there a lot and daughter Eleanor was married there in 1870.
    I think I have them on the 1841 census in Kincardinshire---that would fit after the marriage as I see that the census was taken on June 6. They certainly seem to move around a lot.
    So once again many thanks. I am next going to try and find Christina in Jamaica and when she came to England.

Elaine

Coromandel

Well done olliecat and terrysfamily for your super detective work overnight.

Elaine, do you have access to the British Library 19th Century Newspapers database? You'll find numerous references to the Jopp family there. Here are just a few:

The Morning Post, 9 February 1841:
    'MARRIED'
    'On the 28th ult., at St. Mary's Church, Cheltenham, by the Rev.(?) Francis Close, George Taylor, Esq., to Christian Elizabeth Cam(p?)bell, youngest daughter of the late Keith Jopp, Esq.'

Death announced in the Morning Post, 4 September 1823:
    'Lately, at Tours, in France, Keith Jopp, Esq. late of Bath and the Island of Jamaica.'

Death announced in the Morning Chronicle, 8 January 1859:
    'On the 5th inst., at Cheltenham, Eleanor, widow of the late Keith Jopp, Esq., of Keith-hall, and Joppa, Jamaica, aged 82.'

Coromandel

There is some discussion of various Jopps here - including a post from someone who has a portrait of Keith Jopp (by John Hoppner), and another from a descendant of his:

https://
    boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=6889&p=localities.britisles. scotland.abd.general

An online book about the artist John Hoppner also mentions a portrait of 'Miss Eleanor Campbell, later Mrs. Jopp' :

https://www.
    archive.org/stream/johnhoppner00unkngoog/johnhoppner00unkngoog_djvu.txt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast