Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    DAGWELL, Chas T, lodger, 4, Greenwich Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    ... SS Nova Scotian, Glasgow & Liverpool to Quebec, arriving 22 May 1871 ... Chas Walker 4 Child ... Perhaps some of them were really DAGWELL and not WALKER?
    Charles T DAGWELL is found in 1900 in Mackinaw City, Michigan, aged 34 and married. He states 1871 as year of immigration.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There's a possible passenger list that might show this family -- the SS Nova Scotian, Glasgow & Liverpool to Quebec, arriving 22 May 1871 ...

Alfd Walker 42 Farmer
    Rebecca Walker 41 Wife
    Chas Walker 19 Lab

Perhaps some of them were really DAGWELL and not WALKER?
    Perhaps also some of them were WILKS.

Marriage on 30 Jan 1883 at Toronto, York, Ontario...

Charles Richard Wilks, 30, B, born England, undertaker, father Charles E Wilks, mother Rebecca Wilks
    to
    Ellen Jotterdale [or Totterdale], 45, W, born England, father Thomas Chapman, mother Martha Chapman

Gwyneth W

There's a possible passenger list that might show this family -- the SS Nova Scotian, Glasgow & Liverpool to Quebec, arriving 22 May 1871 ...

Alfd Walker 42 Farmer
    Rebecca Walker 41 Wife
    Thos Walker 24 Lab
    Jane Walker 22 Spin
    Chas Walker 19 Lab
    Wm Walker 11 Child
    John Walker 7 Child
    Chas Walker 4 Child
    Hy Walker 2 Child
    Wm Walker 1 Infant

Perhaps some of them were really DAGWELL and not WALKER?

This would be just after the 1871 census in Surrey (post #3).
    First, I thank all of you for your enthusiastic assistance and your remarkable skills! Maybe some of them were actually Wilks as well! It would be bizarre to find the family in Canada, as York East is Toronto, where I live! I thought my g-grandfather went a-wandering on his own. The Dagwells settled in Michigan.

If it helps to see my public family tree, it's called The Wilks-Conn Family on A*y. (I would also like to know how to organize the data in such a way that it can all be viewed at once, instead of jumping from window to window online).

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyneth W View Post
    It would be bizarre to find the family in Canada, as York East is Toronto, where I live!
    If you find Alfred WALKER and Rebecca after 1881, or a death for either of them in Canada or the US, please do come back and let us know.

Also if you decide to take a chance on the Charles Edward WILKS death certificate in Brazil.

my public family tree, it's called The Wilks-Conn Family on A*y. (I would also like to know how to organize the data in such a way that it can all be viewed at once, instead of jumping from window to window online).
    As I don't have a tree on Ancestry, I'm afraid I can't help. But perhaps other members will be able to. You might like to start a new thread for that, perhaps here.

Gwyneth W

If you find Alfred WALKER and Rebecca after 1881, or a death for either of them in Canada or the US, please do come back and let us know.
    Also if you decide to take a chance on the Charles Edward WILKS death certificate in Brazil.
    I will keep searching! I connected with the host of a family tree descended from the Dagwells in Michigan. They had a photograph identified as 'Rebecca Wilks', an ornate Victorian photo montage, in a cardboard frame from a photo studio in Michigan. I thought perhaps that the photo was a copy, since she would not have been Wilks after 1866 and I doubted that she went to the US. The family who has the picture didn't know who she was!

Would there be value in ordering a death certificate for Charles Edward? What information would it provide? I located the page in the GRO death indices that one of the members told me about (I can't backtrack to see who it was), and it has a page and volume number. Is this sufficient information to order by? Your advice will be gratefully accepted.

I thank each and every one of you for your help and hope to be able to reciprocate. It is surprisingly emotional and compelling to find these threads of family history, but I see there is still a lot to learn in order to research properly.

Gwyneth W

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Charles Richard Wilks, 30, B, born England, undertaker, father Charles E Wilks, mother Rebecca Wilks
    to
    Ellen Jotterdale [or Totterdale], 45, W, born England, father Thomas Chapman, mother Martha Chapman
    Yes, that's my great grandfather, the undertaker! He married a widow 15 years his senior. He often gives his birth year as 1854 but I'm now convinced he was confused. That's an old story; the mystery is, what became of the marriage? Nothing more is known of Ellen Totterdale, but he must have remarried abt 1886 because in the 1901 census he has a young wife, Lillian C S Ronan, and a daughter Lillian born in 1888.

Would there be value in ordering a death certificate for Charles Edward? What information would it provide?
    With an overseas death certificate, the level of information provided is unpredictable. It depends how much was known about the deceased in that locality (which may not have been his usual place of residence), and exactly what information was given to the authorities.

You might expect at least an approximate age, cause of death, and an indication of his occupation. Any of this data might help identify him, especially as your man was relatively young.

I located the page in the GRO death indices that one of the members told me about (I can't backtrack to see who it was), and it has a page and volume number. Is this sufficient information to order by?
    Yes. Go to the GRO certificate ordering site. Register if you haven't used it before, and use the Overseas order form for Deaths, filling in the appropriate boxes with whatever data is provided in the index. Where you are asked for a single year, enter any year between 1855 and 1859. On the next page, in the GRO reference box, you can include the full date-range for the relevant index of consular deaths (1855-1859), the place, volume and page.

If this isn't clear when you come to do it, please ask again.

Gwyneth W

While I've found all relevant data on Rebecca Pinder from the time of her marriage, I still can't find her birth, baptism, or death (or mother's name). Or a death for her last husband, Alfred Walker. On at least one census record she is recorded as born in Purfleet, Essex. I got a false lead from someone on A** suggesting the name was wrongly transcribed, but I'm not sure where to look, or how to use wild cards for a name search. I did find a link to some remarkable photos of Purfleet in a site on "derelict places", and a site or two on lost pubs, which included a photo of the Duke of Cambridge in Ash, Surrey, which my ancestors ran briefly before emigrating.

While I've found all relevant data on Rebecca Pinder from the time of her marriage, I still can't find her birth, baptism, or death (or mother's name).
    According to the 1838 and 1866 marriage registers, her father was Thomas PINDER, waterman or lighterman.

If you think Rebecca was born in Purfleet, a starting point would be the baptism records for West Thurrock. The images can be browsed (not searched) online at SEAX (as provided by the Essex Record Office). Subscription terms include 24-hour access for £5.00.

https://
    seax.essexcc.gov.uk/EssexAncestors.asp

If you can't find Rebecca or any likely siblings at West Thurrock, you may want to check nearby parishes. You can use English Jurisdictions 1851 to help identify the most likely ones to search.

As far as I know there's not much other online coverage for this part of Essex, but an Essex expert may know differently.

These old posts to other forums might possibly save you some legwork.

archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ESSEX-UK/2004-05/1085109762

archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-THAMESWATERMEN/2004-09/1094879585

familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/i/n/David-A-Pinder/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0859.html

At least they point to some parish registers that could be checked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast