bonnieweber99

Question THOMAS BAKER, Cambridgeshire, b abt 1638

I am looking for Thomas Baker in the southern area of Cambridgeshire, (Great Shelford, Barrington, Cambridge, Coton, etc). He emigrated to New England and was first in Rhode Island by 1656.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Bonnie (Baker)

Jan1954

Hello Bonnie - welcome to Brit-Gen,

According to the Family Search Pilot site, there is the christening recorded of a Thomas BAKER on 29th April 1638 in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire to parents Robert and Ann. Bassingbourn is in the southern part of Cambridgeshire, near the border with Hertfordshire.

Is this what you were looking for?

bonnieweber99

Default Hi, and thank you for looking.

The Thomas you have mentioned, died the same year (27 June). I really thought I had solved the puzzle until I did further search. What a disappointment, that was.

Bonnie

Wouldn't this be better in the Cambridgeshire forum?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mead View Post
    Wouldn't this be better in the Cambridgeshire forum?
    Good point, Andrew - it may reach a wider audience and so I shall move it.

Bonnie - have you been in contact with the Cambridgeshire Family History Society to see if they are able to help at all?

janbooth

Hello Bonnie,

Looking at the Cambridgeshire FHS Baptismal Index, there are the following baptisms for a Thomas BAKER in the period 1630-40:

Thomas BAKER 1634 Newton in the Isle
    Thomas BAKER 1638 Wisbech St Peter
    Thomas BAKER 1638 Bassingbourn
    Thomas BAKER 1640 Wisbech St Peter

I can't give you any more details as it is only an Index CD but as you have already researched the one in Bassingbourn, perhaps the 2 in Wisbech are worth following up.

Janet

bonnieweber99

Thank you all, for your help.
    I just found the Wisbech Thomas, son of Thomas and Mary, and a brother John.
    How do I find the Newton one?
    Bonnie

janbooth

There is nothing on Family Search Beta nor on FreeREG so I think the only way is to search actual parish registers or a transcript CD.

Janet

bonnieweber99

Hi all,
    Being in Canada, I cannot access the Registers. I have tried to purchase them, but they companies that offer them will not take my credit card. Am I doing something wrong?
    Thank you for any help.
    Bonnie

TerrySBaker

Hello Bonnie,

I think that I can shed a bit of light on this.

I was unable to find details of the Thomas bapt. in 1634 in Newton (in the Isle) in North Cambridgeshire about 5 miles north of Wisbech.

The Thomas bapt. in Bassingbourne on 29 April 1638, son of Robert B. & Ann (or Anne) Aby or Abbye, was buried on 27 June 1638 at Bassingbourne, which is in South Cambridgeshire.

The Thomas bapt. at Wisbech St. Peter on 18 November 1638, son of Thomas B. & Mary Clark, was buried on 24 November 1638 at Wisbech St. Peter.

The Thomas bapt. at Wisbech St. Peter on 5 November 1640 son of William B. & Alice Downham had 4 elder siblings who died in infancy before 1640, and Alice was buried on 9 December 1640. William re-married Martha Farmer in 1641 before he died in 1651 (buried 22 July 1651 at Wisbech St. Peter).

Thus, the later Thomas would probably have been brought up by his stepmother Martha. There is no Martha Baker in the Cambridgeshire Burial Index until 1711 at Ely. Although she may have married again there is no Martha Baker in the Cambridgeshire Marriage Index Index.

Since I know that you are looking for a Thomas Baker 1638 who emigrated to the USA where he became a baptist minister, I can tell you from experience that it was common for researchers to erroneously give the bapt (and assumed birth year) date of a deceased older sibling to someone of the same name that they were researching. Thus, I am suggesting that a similar thing may have happened with the Thomas Bakers bapt. in 1638 & 1640. Wisbech was a noted area for Baptists, who before they had their own churches, used the established church (of England) for their baptisms, marriages & burials.

It is possible that the fathers of the two Thomases, William & Thomas, were brothers, since their children were bapt at the same times at the same church. Thomas (died 1651) and Mary Clark had 13 children, of whom 7 were known to have died as infants. If this is the case it is possible that the Thomas bapt 1640 could have been brought up by his uncle Thomas after his father died.

Terry Sancroft Baker