Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    initial

Default what do i do next ?

I have been looking for a marriage between William Wilkins and Mary Moore who lived in Tamworth, i think they married about 1835, as their first child was born in 1836 in Tamworth

I cannot find a marriage in Tamworth, but i have found one in Birmingham which is about 13 miles away on 31 Dec 1835,
    How would i find out if this is the correct marriage that i have been looking for ?

Do you think it is a possibility that these two are the same couple, How do i verify this?

As far as i know both william and Mary were born and lived in Tamworth , so i don't understand why they would find it necessary to marry in Birmingham,

Do you think i am linking the wrong marriage in Birmingham to my people in Tamworth ?

So my question is, what do i do next ?.

Thanks

Phill

Have you viewed the entry in the parish register to see if there is any additional information? For example, vicars sometimes wrote the names of fathers, place of birth, even not of this parish.

initial

Hi Niel

Yes, i have copy of the marriage ,but it says

William Wilkins, Bachelor and Mary Moore, of this parish, spinster, married in this church by Banns, this thirty first day of December 1835 by me ( name ) then signed by both William Wilkins and Mary Moore
    In the presence of Robert Powell, and Rolicent ? Wall.

And thats it

Phill

Phill
    Have you searched Birmingham's baptism's registers to see if these 2 appears to have been baptised there, that way you could rule these out or in, depending on what you find.
    Where were they in 1841? have you found them on the census?
    Does his trade appears to be a common one for the Birmingham area?

Quote Originally Posted by initial View Post
    Rolicent ? Wall.
    Do you think this could be Millicent?

initial

Cheers Niel

Thats a good start, i'll start looking at that, it sounds like reasonable step to take.

I have my William and Mary with their children in Tamworth, in 1841, living with what i think maybe williams father, humphrey Wilkins, but their relationship is not confirmed as the relationship is not shown in the 1841 census as you know.

I have william in the 1851 census widowed, his wife died in 1847 from T.B. so there is little to go on to establish where these two came from, but i do know that my William was born in Bonehill, Tamworth, according to the 1851 census, but i have no baptism for him yet, though i have looked in vain.

I have these two in my problem file.
    so i thought i'd post them here to see what people can come up with, so far so good.

thanks

phill

exiled brummie

Were William and Mary living with their 2 children Francis and Mary in Fazeley in 1841?. If so I could look up their possible baptismal records at St Editha's Tamworth for you.

If I have the correct 1851 record then William appears to be a widower and there is no sign of Francis or Mary.

initial

Hi exiled brummie

Thanks for the offer but i have the baptisms of their children,
    You do have the correct family in 1851, Mary died in 1847, Francis is in fact Francis Humphrey Wilkins, so in the 1851 census he is listed as Humphrey.

It's one of those unlucky families as William and Mary had 7 children of which 5 died.his wife Mary died at the age of 47 so you could say William was a very unfortunate man
    one of many in that era i suppose but i am stuck with this marriage thing.

Phill

exiled brummie

Hi Phill

Thanks for the quick reply. If you do need any further look ups, the offer in my PM still stands.

David

initial

Thank you notanotherminer

You know, i have looked for Williams baptism for a few years now. I've put the details in Family search on many occasions and come up with nothing apart from another William born in Tamworth in 1817 who i believe is my Williams cousin.
    That info you posted has made my day, so thanks.
    it also confirms what always believed, but could not prove, that Humphrey was Williams father, i have a copy of Humphrey's marriage to Hannah in Sutton Coldfield in 1810 or 1811 and i checked there for williams baptism to no avail so you have come up trumps with that one

Phill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast