jo's search

Default Ogilvie Isle of Man

My ancestor Jane Ogilvie in 1806 married John Clarke, a trustee of the Athol St Congregational Church in Douglas. He was from Scotland, but she died in 1817, before I got any census info on her.

One hunch: Could her dad be the John Ogilvie who was a Wesleyan minister posted to the Isle of Man in 1785-86 and 1791-92?

Does anyone know please?

Many thanks,

Jo

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have no answer Jo, but here is a letter to a John Ogilvie from Wesley: https://
    wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786a/
    no. 10 down about 1 1/2 inches scrolling. (or use Edit/find on this page.)
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

jo's search

Thanks so much Waitabit for replying so soon and finding that letter. I'd seen that actually and it made me even more intrigued.

All good wishes, Jo

Coromandel

Hi Jo

Methodist ministers moved around a great deal. Hall’s Circuits and Ministers, An Alphabetical List of Circuits in Great Britain 1765 to 1912 may help you trace John Ogilvie's movements. You should be able to find a copy at the Methodist Archives and Research Centre (John Rylands University, Manchester). See their family history guide for more ideas.

According to the index of Methodist ministers, John Ogilvie commenced his ministry in 1782 and died in 1839. Armed with this date you could try searching for an obituary and a will in the hope of discovering more about his family.

jo's search

Thank you very much indeed for your help.

Every good wish, Jo