YvonneC

Default SMEE-Winifred......dod reqd please

SMEE - Winifred (known as Winnie) born 1914, area of Newcastle. One of 9 children born to Edward Smee & Harriet Harford. Believed never to have married but had an illegitimate child in 1932, who is still alive but unfortunately unable to help.
    Winnie emigrated to Australia, 29/8/1951, sailed from Southampton - Melbourne.This is the last def record I have been able to trace of her. 'Roots' members in Aust are unable to find any info on her either.
    It was always thought she died in Aust but I have now been adv by family members this is not the case.
    I have been told that she returned to UK early 1960s & again after June 1965, on the latter occassion she lived in Watford, Herts & remained there until her death. It is not known when she died but I have been assured it was def in Watford. I have looked on free BMD, FamilySearch & Herts names online but can't find anything.
    Is there anyone out there who can solve this mystery for me please or point me in the right direction ????

Many thanks
    Yvonne

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

This seems to add up, but you will need the certificates to confirm things.

Marriage March quarter 1982 Watford registration district
    Winifred A Smee and William J Low

Death November (month) 1987 Watford registration district
    Winifred Ann Low birth date given as 9 March 1914

Pam

YvonneC

Hi Pam
    What a star you are ....... a big THANK YOU.

The info you have found all seems to tie up. Where did you find it ? I've now managed to find the marr rec on GR but can't locate the death rec.
    I have her as Winifred A & have always thought the A was probably for Ann or Annie which was her Gran's name. My sister-in-law says she was in a relationship with a man named Low/e before she emigrated to Aust. but bearing in mind this is the same person who originally told me Winnie died in Aust in the 1960s !!!!
    I think I will have to think about ordering the marr cert to be 100% sure it is not all just a conicidence though.

Many thanks again Pam.
    Yvonne

YvonneC

Hi Pam

Sorry I forgot to ask - do you know the cheapest way/website I am able to order a copy of the marr cert please ??

Y

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneC View Post
    Hi Pam

Sorry I forgot to ask - do you know the cheapest way/website I am able to order a copy of the marr cert please ??

Y
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hi Yvonne,
    I found the registrations in the GRO Index.
    When you search on GR for the death registration are you searching in the right section? Records for 1984 onwards are in a separate section to the 1837-1983 ones. Winifred's death is definitely on GR because I've just done a search, though I don't have a sub to access the actual record.
    Pam

YvonneC

Hi Pam

Just to let you know that I have ordered & recvd a copy of Winnie's marr cert & it is def her - EUREKA !!! So I assume the death rec is also her - too much of a coincidence not to be.

Thanks so much for your help, another mystery bites the dust.

Best wishes yvonne

Hi Yvonne,
    Thanks for the update.
    Pleased to know that that I didn't waste your money when I said 'you need the certificates to prove it'.
    Pam