Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rogerjenny

Wink Searching the name Coleby.

Hi have just joined the forum , can anybody help me with any information on the Coleby family from Old Newton, Suffolk. They are connected to my husbands family tree going back from his grandfather b 1899 to his g grandmother,g.g.grandfather, g.g.g.grandmother and g.g.g.g.grandfather.I have taken the information from the census but if you know anything else it would be much appreciated

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi, and a warm welcome to the forums!

If you can post some first names and dates for members of your COLEBY family, and tell us what sort of information you're looking for, it will be easier for members to help you.

rogerjenny

Wilfred Coleby b 1899 d 1990 - my husbands grandfather nothing known about early life other than 1901 - Onehouse workhouse, Suffolk. 1911 - Boarder at Moor Dickleburgh Scole, Stowmarket.

His mother - Lucy Coleby b 1876 at Great Finsborough, Suffolk. 1911- General dom serv Clapham Common- nothing more known.

Her father - Arthur J H Coleby b 1856 Old Newton Suffolk married Diannah Coleman 1876 children Lucy, Ernest Edward b 1877-1957, Bessie b 1879, Allice b 1881-1904, Ethel b 1886, Bertha b 1888, Percy b 1892.

His mother - Eliza Coleby b 1837 d 1895.

Her parents -Joseph Coleby b 1787 Sophia b 1801 - children Emma b 1832, Henry b 1829 - 1899, Theresa 1839, Eliza 1837, Harriet b 1823, Ephraim b 1827 - 1876, Betsey b 1825 - 1854, John b 1820-1908.

rogerjenny

Sorry I should have said this is a quick look at the Coleby's if anybody can add anything I would be much oblidged, Jenny

Mutley

I think you probably know that Lucy Lilian was with Wilfred in the 1901. I am not sure if the records for Stowmarket survive.
    Have you seen this site, there is a link that may give you information about the records.
    https://www.onehouse.org.uk/html/stow_lodge.html

Lucy did not seem to marry and I think her death is registered in Wandsworth in 1952 aged 75.

Do you have Wilfred's birth certificate? It may give more information.
    He may be the birth registered in Stow in 1899.

usernick

Hi,

Long time, no post, but just found this via Google...

In my quest for information on the Colebys (my 3xGreat Grandfather, James King, married Mary Coleby), one of the people I came across was a guy called Joshua Coleby. He was the brother of Mary Coleby's father, Caleb Coleby, and he died in 1779 in Old Newton, Suffolk.

Now, I'm not sure if you've come across Joshua Coleby before, but if you haven't, I've got a copy of his will and he names all of his brothers and sisters.

Cheers,

Nick

Fiona67

Joseph Coleby m Sophia Roper 9 March 1819 Suffolk County Bts, Suffolk, England. That's an extracted record from the IGI

Regards
    Fiona

rogerjenny

Hi Nick

I haven't come across Joshua or Caleb as yet but I wouldn't mind a copy or a list of the names mentioned to see if I can link anyone.

Jenny

usernick

Hi Jenny,

Sure, no problem:

The 'tree' that I've managed to compile thus far is as follows:

Parents: William Coleby and Elizabeth (I *think*)

Children:

Elizabeth Coleby
    Joseph Coleby
    Joshua Coleby (m Sarah Johnson): Both died in Old Newton in Suffolk
    – 1779
    Samuel Coleby
    Caleb Coleby (m Sarah, then Hannah Burger) (Born/Died in Tivetshall St Margaret, Norfolk)
    1697 – 1790
    John Coleby (m Ann Wattridge) (son, John Coleby, born in Wrenningham, Norfolk m Sarah Hart)
    1700 –

Caleb Coleby had two children with Sarah:

Benjamin Coleby (1751-1819) m Mary Holmes (1736-1821) [lived - at various times - in Saxlingham and Hempnall, Norfolk]
    Mary Coleby (1740-1815) m James King (1740-1823) - these are my 4 x [not 3 as above post!] Great Grandparents [lived in Dickleburgh, Norfolk]

And one child with Hannah Burger:

Caleb Coleby (1747-1831) m Esther Holmes (1754-1826)

All of the above were Quaker births/marriages/burials.

There's a will for Joshua Coleby (very informative) and Caleb Coleby (which is where I gathered most of the information from) - available via the Norfolk Record Office. In addition, a number of the Colebys were Quakers, so there are quite a few records available via the Non-Conformist records (via a Pay-Per-View site, or the Norfolk Record Office).

Anyway, hope this helps?

Cheers,

Nick

rogerjenny

Thanks Nick,

This will give me something to work on to see if they are related.

Jenny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast