Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Question Location of Chamberlain(s) Buildings

Chamberlain(s) Buildings / Coal Pit Lane? Midsomer Norton
    I am having some difficulty in locating an address in Midsomer Norton. Two different family lines have lived there , The Ganes in 1851 Census and the Crays in 1861 and 1871. Unfortunately the Census records are particularly vague. I have used the Registration district description and narrowed down the location but the lack of available maps has not been helpful. I have tried the local Duchy of Cornwall Property Office but seem to have drawn a blank there.
    I believe that the site was somewhere between Stones Cross and Welton Hill Pit but cannot pinpoint the location. I think that the buildings might have been demolished sometime between 1871 and 1881 either for an extension to the pit dirt heap (batch) or the construction of the Bristol North Somerset Railway or perhaps because of their condition.
    The earliest OS extract (1885) which I have does not show the address.
    Can anyone please suggest a way forward or has anyone out there got any information.

Thanks

radstockjeff

Mutley

There is a mention of an 1822 parish map on the pdf file on this site
    https://www.bathnes.gov.uk/environmen...tonWelton.aspx

Any luck at Radstock Museum?

I am not sure where they are but I imagine the miners unions have lots of historical information. Maybe at Bristol or Bath University?

malcolm99

I’ve not managed to identify the location either but there is a reference in Pigot’s Directory of Somersetshire (1842-44) to “Blacker & Chamberlain, brewers, Welton” and I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a connection.

That begins to make some sense. One of the old brewery buildings is still there in Station Road. I believr that there was another one quite close at hand. Will continue to explore. Thanks

malcolm99

There’s a photo of the old brewery in Station Road in this document
    bathnes.gov.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Environment%20and%20Planning/MidSomNor%20CAA.pdf (put www in front)
    and it’s referred to in Chris Howell’s book “Round Here in Them Days” (see bibliography in the same document).

I think it would be worth contacting the Somerset Heritage Centre to see what they have – there’s certainly a map of a Mr Blacker’s holdings in Midsomer Norton https://tinyurl.com/3aqzxx3 (although he may not be the brewer of course!).

SRO contact address is at https://www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives/

Reputation beyond repute

Try the tithe maps (1836) at Somerset Records Office. The 25" OS maps may be too late for your purpose if the cottages did indeed disappear before 1881.

malcolm99

There’s a report in The Bristol Mercury, Saturday, February 10, 1844 saying that the partnership between Black and Chamberlain, brewers of Midsomer Norton, has been dissolved. The names of the partners are E. Blacker and A. Chamberlain according to The Leeds Mercury of the same date.

Thanks to you all for the advice and info so far received. Re Blacker and Chamberlain I found a reference to an A Chamberlain in the 1871 Census at Timsbury described as Pauper. Will keep you posted on progress.

radstockjeff

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by radstockjeff View Post
    Thanks to you all for the advice and info so far received. Re Blacker and Chamberlain I found a reference to an A Chamberlain in the 1871 Census at Timsbury described as Pauper. Will keep you posted on progress.

radstockjeff
    Drunk all his profits no doubt!! Cheers...

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by radstockjeff View Post

radstockjeff
    Please do
    and good luck