Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Colin Rowledge

Hi Mark.
    What a 'bleddy' mess that was - as my Cornish great-aunts would say!!

Swearing was never allowed, but the word 'bleddy' was very common and frequently used to describe 'certain things'.

MarkJ

We still say "bleddy", Colin

Mark

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    We still say "bleddy", Colin

Mark
    "Gesson' was another word they used. Is that the correct way of using it - ie when something was byond the norm?

48 years in Canada and 52 since my last visit to Cornwall, I love the lingo from there. I did purchase a book on the language a year or so ago and I'm still fascinated by it.

MarkJ

"Geddon" or similar such as "gerron" as in "gerron wiv 'ee" - basically Get On - is used to express disbelief etc, so I assume that is the same thing?

I speak the actual Cornish language (badly!), but I guess you are referring to the dialect words? I have some great little dialect books - mostly little stories or poems.

Mark

Colin Rowledge

I am referring to dialect words and phrases - just like another branch of my mob were Cockneys. Put both branches together and you would have a language that no foreign power could crack with a code-book.

I enjoyed the few moments of reliving my youth, but we are getting a bit

Mark, why not start a thread using the Cornish dialect and see what other dialects come into play? Could be very interesting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12