Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Possible sighting of John Ford Snr?
    Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle, Monday, November 1, 1824
    Game Lists - County of Southampton
    List (3) Gamekeepers not being Assessed Servants at £1 5s 0d each
    Ford, John appointed by Sir Henry Wright Wilson, Bart, for Barton Stacey, Newton Stacey, Cranbourn and Bransbury

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle, Saturday, September 23, 1848
    GAME LISTS - County of Southampton
    First Publication
    List of Persons who have taken out GENERAL GAME CERTIFICATES at £4 0s 10d each, including the Additional duty of 10 per cent under the Act of 3 Vict.cap 17
    Ford, John Hurstbourne Priors

roan

Well done Helachau for spotting these two newspaper notices. The first one would be John Ford Snr who was shown as Head Gamekeeper at Hurstbourne Priors on his son Luke's baptism in 1838. The second one is most likely John Ford Jnr as he would have been 15 years old at the time and was shown as an Assistant Gamekeeper at Hurstbourne Priors in the 1851 census.

caspergram

Yes, well done, Helachau - the 1824 one fills in a gap as to where John Snr was prior to Hurstbourne.

caspergram

....However,19th century newspapers carried extensive Game Lists of game-keepers and
    people who had obtained Game Certificates. An Act of 1784, required
    every person qualified in respect of property to kill game and every person
    who shall keep any dog, gun, net or other engine for the taking or
    destruction of game to register and take out a certificate annually.

Inserted from
    <https://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/b113_g.html>

There were also two other John Fords in the locality, at Wonston at the time. A John Ford m. Dorothy Ware in 1788; Another John Ford m. Sarah Crate in 1803. I have yet to find out if they are part of the line of the family we are discussing.

Regards

Ade

karoriclaire

I'm new to geneaology and just found this thread. I am married to the great great grandson of John Ford b. 1833 and we also live in New Zealand! I was amazed to discover my husband's family came from Hampshire as the Ford family moved to Leicestershire late in the 19th Century which is where we met in the 1980s. My roots are Winchester which is very near Hurstbourne Priors and my maternal side comes from Andover and Shipton Bellinger. Anyway the purpose of my query is to find out if anyone knows where Thomas Ford b about 1750 was born and any details of his wife Jane. I'm curious to know if they were a Hampshire family, or moved there to take up gamekeeping! I'd be especially interested to know if the Mower family have any links with the Fords....

roan

Great to have another member of the family joining us!

My last entry for John Ford is the 1891 Census where he is shown as a Park Keeper and living at North Petherton, Bridgewater, Somersetshire.

As for Thomas and Jane, I cannot throw any further light on them at this time.

Can you give us a little more information about the Mower Family that might help to make the connection?

caspergram

Hi.
    Good to hear from you both. I've got Thomas Ford (b,March 1750) married Jane ? (c 1777) but that is all! The only direct line down that I can trace is John Ford 15/09/1793 - ?/12/1862 who married Sarah Pibworth (1800-1862?) in 1827. His son John b 1834 married Elizabeth Laura MOYLE - I wonder if this name could be your 'Mower' which name I have never come across. Which of John's children is your husband descended from, Karoriclaire?

The Fords have been in the Bossington area for a long time. There are two documents in th Hampshire Record Office:
    1. 1659 mentiosna William Ford alias Turner in West Tytherley which is only a few miles from Bossington.
    2. 1729 mentions Edwrad Ford who held lands in Freefold, Whitchurch. He was a miller, but of what I don't know yet.

I hope this helps and will keep looking.

roan

Great to have more information on Thomas and Jane! Do you have sorces for that information? I have Thomas dying in March 1850, which would make him 100years old when he died - a pretty good age, especially for those days!

I agree that John Ford was born on 15/09/1793 according to Hampshire Baptisms and from the probate of his will I have ascertained that he died on 27/10/1862 at Andover Lodge, Hurstbourne Priors.

Hampshire Chronicle - September 10, 1827
    LIST 3 Persons who have obtained Game Keepers Certificates of £1 5s each;......
    Ford John, by Henry Fellows, esq for Hurstbourne Priors and St Mary Bowes

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast