topo60

Default (Edmonton) Parish Register look up please

If it is at all possible I need to see the signature of the Groom on a marriage entry (not shown on the certificate). The wedding took place at The Baptist Church, Wood Green on 20 August 1924 between William John Glover and Constance E Osborn. PM replies acceptable.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Being nit-picky , in England parish registers refer to church registers of the Church of England.
    This marriage took place in a Baptist Chapel, usually referred to as Non-Conformist, and those records may or may not be held in the county Record Office.
    Edmonton is in the London borough of Enfield. I've tried searching the LMA site without success, but I think you need to contact them first to eliminate them from your enquiries. They may also be able to tell you where the Baptist Church records might be if they don't hold them.
    Pam

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by topo60 View Post
    The wedding took place at The Baptist Church, Wood Green on 20 August 1924
    Wood Green is in the London Borough of Haringey.

Here's some history of the numerous baptist chapels in Wood Green.

www.
    british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26995#s4

I agree with Pam that the records for these chapels do not seem to be deposited at LMA.

They could be at Haringey Archives Service at Bruce Castle Museum, who do have some nonconformist registers, but no online catalogue. Part of Haringey's collection is listed on A2A, but there is only one baptist chapel is showing, which doesn't seem to be the right one. You could try ringing them.

www.
    haringey.gov.uk/index/community_and_leisure/time_out_in_haringey/visiting_haringey/places_to_visit/brucecastlemuseum/archives.htm

It's more than possible that the registers aren't deposited but have been retained by the church.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Wood Green is in the London Borough of Haringey.
    I was confusing my registration district (Edmonton) with the actual location of the chapel (Wood Green).
    Thank you for the correction Kerrywood.
    Pam

topo60

Thanks everyone - It gives me somewhere else to look.